Offshore Wind Research
For more than 19 years, NREL has worked with the U.S. Department of Energy to become an international leader in offshore wind energy research.
Offshore Wind Market Report: 2023 Edition Released
In August 2023, the U.S. Department of Energy Wind Energy Technologies Office released the Offshore Wind Market Report: 2023 Edition, which was co-authored by several researchers at NREL. The report details information on the global and domestic offshore wind industry to provide current-state data and trends to help readers navigate technical and market barriers and opportunities.
Leveraging our broad-based expertise and world-class facilities, NREL partners with industry, the research community, and other government agencies to map a swift, direct, and enduring route to commercially viable offshore development.
Areas of Expertise
- Development of offshore wind national and international standards
- Resource characterization and forecasting
- Modeling and validation for next-generation offshore wind turbine and plant technologies
- Systems engineering and optimization of next-generation floating wind turbines, mooring systems, support structures
- High-fidelity modeling using high-performance computing
- Wind farm flow controls
- Structural health monitoring
- Stakeholder engagement and workforce training
- Evaluation and development of technical solutions to environmental and siting challenges associated with U.S. offshore wind energy development
Learn more about NREL's expertise and capabilities via the wind energy research pages.
As the offshore wind energy market expands around the coastal United States, further information can be found by reaching out to the contacts below or on the above project pages.