Composites Manufacturing Education and Technology Facility
NREL constructed the Composites Manufacturing Education and Technology (CoMET) Facility to support The Institute for Advanced Composites Manufacturing Innovation (IACMI) projects.
The CoMET enables NREL to lead composite research projects for the wind turbine industry, both through IACMI and through NREL partnerships.
The CoMET, which opened in March 2017, fills a critical composites manufacturing gap in IACMI's research and development process. Learn more about IACMI's goals, projects, partnerships, and technology areas.
NREL is currently equipping the CoMET facility in a building previously used for blade preparation for structural evaluation at NREL's National Wind Technology Center.
Featuring specialized capabilities in wind industry composite research, the CoMET provides:
- Rapid prototyping of new blade materials and production methods
- Full-scale blade component tooling and fixtures (root, spar cap, tip, shear web)
- Infusion, pultrusion, prepreg, RTM, hand lay-up (small parts)
- Polyester, vinyl-Ester, epoxy, thermoplastic/fiberglass, carbon fiber
- Comprehensive composite production equipment (mixers, vacuum, dispensers)
- Molding, assembly, bonding, and finishing
- Thermal welding
- Segmented 3-D printed tooling
- Large-area rapid nondestructive evaluation
- Modeling and manufacturing simulation
- Panels, material test coupons, and components
- Structural evaluation of coupons, components, and joints
- Workforce development and training for the composites industry.
Learn more about working with NREL.