Thermo-Mechanical Analysis for John Deere Electronics Solutions
NREL supports John Deere Electronic Solutions (JDES) in thermal design optimization and thermo-mechanical modeling of critical inverter components for wide bandgap power electronics.
The thermo-mechanical analysis included:
- Cooling design and thermal performance impacts of alternative manufacturing processes
- Die, package, and interface material analysis for power module reliability
- Manufacturing process impacts versus thermal cycling impacts on power module reliability
- Power module stress and deflection for safety and coolant system sealing
- Inverter enclosure stress and deflection based on operating and JDES safety requirements.
The research supported JDES's PowerAmerica project milestone for the U.S. Department of Energy Advanced Manufacturing Office. Learn more about PowerAmerica.
NREL's analysis supports the commercialization and adoption of the JDES technology's vehicle applications within and outside John Deere.
Learn more about NREL's power electronics and electric machines research capabilities.