Medium- and Heavy-Duty Electric Vehicle Charging
NREL is working with other national labs to develop a megawatt-scale charging system for medium- and heavy-duty electric vehicles, enabling drivers to charge in less than 30 minutes at reasonable cost.
As part of the 1+ MW project, researchers are exploring crosscutting factors influencing the effective design and optimization of such a system, including:
- Load profiles for regional-haul trucks
- Optimal battery-charge-control algorithms
- Site-integrated charging for improved operations and equipment costs
- Thermal challenges associated with cables and connectors
- High-power conversion equipment
- Grid impacts of a multi-port, publicly accessible charging station.
Using a combination of real-world truck operations data and truck volume estimations, NREL is developing charge-control strategies for individual vehicles and charging ports to enable multiple vehicles to charge at the same time without overloading the system.