National Fuel Cell Technology Evaluation Center
The National Fuel Cell Technology Evaluation Center (NFCTEC) at NREL's Energy Systems Integration Facility (ESIF) plays a crucial role in NREL's independent, third-party analysis of hydrogen fuel cell technologies in real-world operation.
The NFCTEC is designed for secure management, storage, and processing of proprietary data from industry. Access to the off-network NFCTEC is limited to NREL's Technology Validation Team, which analyzes detailed data and reports on fuel cell technology status, progress, and technical challenges.
NREL partners submit operational, maintenance, safety, and cost data to the NFCTEC on a regular basis, typically every three months. NREL's Technology Validation Team uses an internal network of servers, storage, computers, backup systems, and software to efficiently process raw data, complete quarterly analysis, and digest large amounts of time series data for data visualization.
While the raw data are secured by NREL to protect commercially sensitive and proprietary information, individualized data analysis results are provided as detailed data products (DDPs) to the partners who supplied the data.
Individual system, fleet, and site analysis results are aggregated into public results called composite data products (CDPs) that show the status and progress of the technology without identifying individual companies or revealing proprietary information.
These CDPs are available on the NREL website:
- Fuel Cell Vehicle Evaluations
- Early Fuel Cell Market Demonstrations
- Fuel Cell Technology Status Analysis
- Hydrogen Fueling Infrastructure Analysis
- Stationary Fuel Cell Systems Analysis
Partner with Us
Work with NREL experts and take advantage of state-of-the-art capabilities at the ESIF to make progress on your projects, which could range from fundamental research to applications engineering.
Some of our partners to date include the following companies and organizations:
- Federal agencies—U.S. Department of Energy and U.S. Department of Defense
- Vehicle manufacturers—Daimler and General Motors
- Transit agencies—AC Transit, SunLine, and CTTRANSIT
- Hydrogen suppliers—Air Products and Linde
- Fuel cell developers—Plug Power and Nuvera
- Organizations—Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Energy Association and the California Fuel Cell Partnership
Refer to the Fuel Cell Technology Status Analysis Project: Partnership Opportunities fact sheet for information about opportunities for industry to participate in NREL's fuel cell technology performance, durability, and price analysis.
If you are interested in working with NREL's National Fuel Cell Technology Evaluation Center, please contact NREL's Technology Validation Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.