Materials and Chemical Science and Technology
The capabilities of the Materials and Chemical Science and Technology (MCST) directorate at NREL span from foundational scientific understanding to industry-relevant applied R&D for renewable energy and energy efficiency.
Our research includes materials discovery, development and characterization, as well as manufacturing and reliability science for renewable energy technologies including: photovoltaics, solar fuels, hydrogen production and storage, fuel cells, windows, batteries, thermoelectrics, and opto-electronics/lighting.
We provide expertise to the DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Office of Science, ARPA-E, as well university and industry partners. The directorate is led by Associate Laboratory Director William Tumas as supported by the Leadership Team.
Advancing high-potential, high-impact energy technologies—too early for private-sector investment—by developing entirely new ways to generate, store, and use energy
Point of Contact John Perkins
Featured Projects and Videos
MCST Organization, Collaboration, and Publications
The MCST organizational chart indicates center and group managers, and directors of Joint Institutes, Energy Frontier Research Centers, Energy Materials Network consortia, and more led by MCST personnel.
MCST Leadership Team
The Materials and Chemical Science and Technology (MCST) directorate is led by William Tumas, with guidance on research direction and priorities from the following Leadership Team experts:
- Mowafak Al-Jassim, Senior Research Fellow
- Sarah Kurtz, Senior Research Fellow / Joint appointment University of California Merced
- Garry Rumbles, Senior Research Fellow
- Tony Burrell, Chief Technologist
- David Ginley, Chief Scientist / Senior Research Fellow
- Mark van Schilfgaarde, Chief Theorist
- Nancy Haegel, Center Director, Materials Science
- Pete Sheldon, Center Director, MCST Research Operations
- Jao van de Lagemaat, Center Director, Chemistry and Nanoscience
- John Perkins, Point of Contact, ARPA-E
- William Tumas, Point of Contact, Basic Energy Sciences
- Mary Werner, Laboratory Program Manager, Solar Program
- Keith Wipke, Laboratory Program Manager, Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Program
- Steve Gorin, MCST Strategic Partnerships