System Resource Allocation Requests
For system resource allocations, learn about the high-performance computing (HPC) annual call for requests, and out-of-cycle and pilot project requests.
Fiscal Year 2022 Annual Call for Allocation Requests
NREL provides HPC and related capabilities to support the mission of the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Energy Efficiency, and Renewable Energy (EERE). R&D projects that are funded by EERE offices or aligned with the EERE mission are eligible to utilize these resources.
On behalf of EERE, NREL runs an annual open call for requests in which R&D projects can request use of a defined quantity, or allocation, of the compute resources at NREL. This serves as the announcement of this call for allocation requests. The allocation period of performance runs from Oct. 1, 2021 through Sept. 30, 2022.
Resources to be allocated include 53 million allocation units or AUs, 4 petabytes of shared data storage ("/projects"), and up to 5 petabytes of long-term data storage. Each AU corresponds to 1/3 of an Eagle node-hour. Eagle nodes have 36 Intel Xeon Gold Skylake 6154 3.0 GHz cores.
Users are encouraged to submit requests for projects where a proposal has been submitted or is pending, as well as ongoing projects. Requesting an allocation will not affect the funding status of any submitted or pending proposals.
Allocation requests must be completed and submitted by June 7, 2021.
Fiscal Year 2022 Annual Call for Allocation Requests Webinar
NREL hosted a webinar providing information on the allocation request process on May 14, 2021. View the webinar's slides.
Principal investigators must have an NREL HPC user account to utilize the online allocation request system. If you need an HPC user account, please request one online:
- Visit User Accounts.
- Click the green “Request Account” button. This will direct you to an online request form hosted at DocuSign.
- Fill in your name and email address as the signer.
- Follow the online instructions provided in the DocuSign form.
- Write “Need HPC User Account to use allocation request system” in the Additional Notes or Comments box.
To submit an allocation request online:
- Visit the HPC Allocation Request page.
- Log in with your HPC user account username and password.
- Click the blue “Create New HPC Allocation Request.”
- Use the information provided below to help fill in the allocation request fields.
- Click Submit when the request is complete and ready to submit.
- Instructions can be found within the online form as well as how the information is utilized.
- Reference Eagle System Configuration for more information on the new system.