Skip to main content

System Resource Allocation Requests

For system resource allocations, learn about the annual call for requests, and out-of-cycle and pilot project requests.

Fiscal Year 2020 Call for Requests

The Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 HPC User Call will go out on May 13, 2019. Requests must be submitted by June 14, 2019.  Out-of-Cycle and Pilot Project Requests may be requested any time by submitting an allocation request online; requests are limited to 20,000 hours.

The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) provides high-performance computing (HPC) and related capabilities to support the mission of the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE). Research and development projects that are funded by EERE offices or aligned with the EERE mission are eligible to utilize these resources.

On behalf of EERE, NREL runs an annual open call for requests in which research and development projects can request use of a defined quantity, or allocation, of the compute resources at NREL.  The allocation period of performance runs from Oct. 1, 2019 through Sept. 30, 2020.

Resources to be allocated include approximately 51 million "NREL-hours" and 4 petabytes of shared data storage ("/projects"), and up to 5 petabytes of long-term data storage. An NREL-hour is indexed to a node hour on Peregrine, our original HPC cluster. Given Eagle nodes' over three-fold increase in raw compute capability over Peregrine's, NREL-hours are consumed faster on Eagle (i.e., an NREL-hour is consumed every 20 minutes on Eagle).

Preparing an NREL System Resource Allocation Request

Principal investigators must have an NREL HPC User Account to utilize the online allocation request system. If you need a HPC User Account, please request one online:

  1. Visit User Accounts.
  2. Click the green “Request Account” Button  - this will direct you to an online request form hosted at DocuSign.
  3. Fill in your name and email address as the signer.
  4. Follow the online instructions provided in the DocuSign form.
  5. Write “Need HPC User Account to use allocation request system” in the Additional Notes or Comments box.

Submit an allocation request online:

  1. Visit the HPC Allocation Request page.
  2. Log in with your HPC User Account username and password.
  3. Click the blue “Create New HPC Allocation Request”.
  4. Use the information provided below to help fill in the allocation request fields.
  5. Click Submit when the request is complete and ready to submit.
  6. Instructions can be found within the online form as well as how the information is utilized.
  7. Reference Eagle System Configuration for more information on the new system.