System Resource Allocation Requests
For system resource allocations, learn about the annual call for requests, and out-of-cycle and pilot project requests.
Fiscal Year 2021 Call for Requests
The Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 HPC User Call was released on June 3, 2020. Requests must be submitted by July 1, 2020. Out-of-Cycle and Pilot Project Requests may be requested any time by submitting an allocation request online; requests are limited to 20,000 allocation units.
The National Renewable Energy Lab (NREL) provides high-performance computing and related capabilities to support the mission of the Department of Energy, Office of Energy Efficiency, and Renewable Energy (EERE). Research and development projects that are funded by EERE offices or aligned with the EERE mission are eligible to utilize these resources.
On behalf of EERE, NREL runs an annual open call for requests in which research and development projects can request use of a defined quantity, or allocation, of the compute resources at NREL. This serves as the announcement of this call for allocation requests. The allocation period of performance runs from Oct. 1, 2020 through Sept. 30, 2021.
Resources to be allocated include 51 million "Allocation Units," or AUs, and 4 petabytes of shared data storage ("/projects"), and up to 5 petabytes of long-term data storage. Each AU corresponds to 1/3 of an Eagle Node-Hour. Eagle nodes have 36 Intel Xeon Gold Skylake 6154 3.0 GHz cores.
Additional information about Eagle is available on the System Configuration page.
Additional information about Allocation Units is available on the Allocation Unit page.
Users are encouraged to submit requests for projects where a proposal has been submitted or is pending, as well as ongoing projects. Requesting an allocation will not affect the funding status of any submitted or pending proposals.
Fiscal Year 2021 NREL HPC Annual Call for Allocation Requests Webinar
NREL hosted a webinar providing information on completing the allocation request on June 11th. View the webinar presentation.
Preparing an NREL System Resource Allocation Request
Principal investigators must have an NREL HPC User Account to utilize the online allocation request system. If you need an HPC User Account, please request one online:
- Visit User Accounts.
- Click the green “Request Account” Button - this will direct you to an online request form hosted at DocuSign.
- Fill in your name and email address as the signer.
- Follow the online instructions provided in the DocuSign form.
- Write “Need HPC User Account to use allocation request system” in the Additional Notes or Comments box.
Submit an allocation request online:
- Visit the HPC Allocation Request page.
- Log in with your HPC User Account username and password.
- Click the blue “Create New HPC Allocation Request”.
- Use the information provided below to help fill in the allocation request fields.
- Click Submit when the request is complete and ready to submit.
- Instructions can be found within the online form as well as how the information is utilized.
- Reference Eagle System Configuration for more information on the new system.