North American Renewable Integration Study
NREL's North American Renewable Integration Study (NARIS) will analyze pathways to modernize the North American power system through the efficient planning of transmission, generation, and demand. As wind, solar, hydropower, and natural gas continue to grow, NARIS will illuminate possible power system futures and explore how the United States, Canada, and Mexico can collaborate to enable economic competitiveness and reliability.
NARIS is a collaborative effort of NRCan, SENER, and DOE's Grid Modernization Initiative. Stakeholders from all three countries with expertise in power systems planning and operations will help guide and review the study.
NARIS will examine the interconnection of U.S., Canada, Mexico, power systems, from planning through operation and balancing at 5-minute resolution. Geographically speaking, NARIS is the largest study of its kind. NARIS explores the potential to increase use of clean power across the continent.
NARIS is expected to:
- Analyze opportunity for clean energy
- Develop state-of-the-art methods, scenarios, and datasets for NARIS and future analysis
- Assess coordinated grid planning and operation, cross-border transmission, grid flexibility, and other strategies and technologies to enable high penetrations of renewables.
Final results are slated for 2019. Interim engagement opportunities will occur throughout the project.
NREL's partners on NARIS include:
- NRCan (Natural Resources Canada), which seeks to enhance the responsible development and use of Canada's natural resources and the competitiveness of Canada's natural resources products
- SENER (Secretaría de Energía), which conducts Mexico's energy policy to guarantee the competitive, sufficient, high quality, economically viable and environmentally sustainable supply of energy.
- U.S. Energy Department's Grid Modernization Initiative, which works to build a reliable power grid to fuel U.S. economic growth in the 21st century and beyond.
Greg Brinkmangregory.email@example.com | 303-384-7390