Sustainable Mobility: The Transportation World Beyond Tomorrow is Here Today
August 13, 2018
NREL's sustainable mobility research is moving beyond vehicles and roads, investigating the best way to get people and goods where they need to go with maximum convenience, efficiency, and affordability, while minimizing traffic congestion.
Integrated research efforts span a variety of arenas:
- Connected and autonomous vehicles and infrastructure
- New materials and devices for top performance, efficiency, reliability, and durability
- High-performance computing and machine learning
- Controls that integrate vehicles with energy, road, communication, building, and mass-transit systems
- Communities of the future—from rural areas to megacities
- Consumer behavior and new models of car ownership.