Background Information on the Protection Requirements in IEEE Standard 1547-2018
This NREL report provides informative material on the requirements related to electrical protection in IEEE Standard 1547-2018 as well as context and background to improve understanding and use of the requirements specified.
Background Information on the Protection Requirements in IEEE Standard 1547-2018 (Mahmud, Ingram 2022)
The aim of this document is twofold: (1) to summarize requirements in IEEE Standard 1547-2018 having direct implications in distribution network protection and (2) to provide the reader with knowledge and information that will be required for users to apply the requirements specified.
The key protection-related issues covered are:
- Brief introduction of protection systems for distribution networks
- Potential effects of distributed energy resources (DER) on protection systems
- Current network protection practices in the presence of DER
- DER performance requirements for protection.
Several parameters and settings of DERs must be properly selected for reliable operation during abnormal grid condition when applying the requirements of IEEE Standard 1547-2018. Key decisions for proper selections of parameter and settings are:
- Determination of required DER abnormal operating performance category
- Determination of DER response (shall trip) to abnormal voltages
- Determination of DER response (shall trip) to abnormal frequency.