Workforce Development and Education
NREL's workforce development and education activities provide the skills, training, and experience that will enable the large-scale deployment of geothermal technologies.
- Workforce development geared to specific workforce skills, training, and experience
- Economic and employment impacts analysis of jobs creation and economic output at the national, state, and community levels
- Administration of competitions, challenges, and industry prizes
Economic and Employment Impacts Analysis
NREL's jobs analysis—part of our broader effort to support manufacturing analysis—focuses on jobs creation and economic output stemming from investment in clean energy technology deployment. NREL's jobs analysis has shown that:
- Targeted investments in geothermal projects can result in jobs creation and positive return on investment.
- Investments impact all sectors of the economy, including construction, equipment and material suppliers, supporting manufacturers, and service providers such as restaurants, retailers, and childcare providers.
- Even rural, sparsely populated regions can experience boosted economic development and activity through investment in geothermal projects.
Competitions, Challenges, and Industry Prizes
Competitions, prizes, and similar contests support the next generation of scientists and entrepreneurs. Participants in these events expand knowledge and share skills in the development and commercialization of advanced energy technologies. NREL runs annual student competitions for the Department of Energy’s Geothermal Technologies Office as well as geothermal-related American-Made Challenges. Read more about the competitions, challenges and industry prizes administered by NREL.
GeoVision Analysis Supporting Task Force Report: Impacts – The Employment Opportunities, Water Impacts, Emission Reductions, and Air Quality Improvements of Achieving High Penetrations of Geothermal Power in the United States, NREL Technical Report (2019)
A Retrospective Analysis of Benefits and Impacts of U.S. Renewable Portfolio Standards, Energy Policy (2016)
Geothermal Exploration Case Studies on OpenEI, 39th Workshop on Geothermal Reservoir Engineering (2014)
View all NREL publications about geothermal research.