The mission of the Energy Systems Integration Facility (ESIF) Operations Center is to support the safe use of advanced equipment and capabilities to enable the development of next-generation energy systems.
ESIF Operations staff members adhere to NREL's principles for a strong safety culture.
- Everyone is personally responsible for safe operations.
- A questioning attitude is always cultivated.
- Leaders value the safety legacy they create.
- Learning does not stop.
- Workers raise safety concerns because trust permeates the organization.
- Hazards are identified and evaluated for every task, every time.
- Cutting-edge science requires cutting-edge safety.
- Workers maintain a healthy respect for what can go wrong.
The ESIF has been recognized as the best in class for operations, safety, and environmental and quality performance. It has been independently verified through International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS) certifications with numerous recognitions for system strengths in the areas of:
- ISO 9001: Quality management
- ISO 14001: Environmental management
- OHSAS 18001: Health and safety management .