NREL Manages Program to Transform Mexico's Power Sector
NREL is managing a 3-year program for the 21st Century Power Partnership (21CPP) to help strengthen and support Mexico's power sector.
Through 21CPP, NREL is helping Mexico with:
- Long-range planning of the power system for transmission, generation, and integration of renewable energy
- How best to operate the electric grid as Mexico increases the use of renewable energy and energy efficient technologies
- Smart Grid policy and implementation of its Smart Grid roadmap and technical modeling for solar PV distributed generation under various smart grid configurations
- Implementation of its energy reform directives.
21CPP is a multilateral effort of the Clean Energy Ministerial and serves as a platform for public-private collaboration to advance integrated policy, regulatory, financial, and technical solutions for the large-scale deployment of renewable energy in combination with deep energy efficiency and smart grid solutions.
Mexico is on the brink of a major energy reform that will significantly affect how people produce and consume electricity in the country. In 2014, a package of energy reform legislation became law that established a new legal framework for Mexico's energy industry.
- Mexico and the 21st Century Power Partnership
- Mexico's Geothermal Market Assessment Report
- Designing Distributed Generation in Mexico