Computer-Aided Engineering for Electric-Drive Vehicle Batteries (CAEBAT) Consortium and Partners
The Computer-Aided Engineering for Electric-Drive Vehicle Batteries (CAEBAT) Consortium comprises NREL energy storage researchers and partners with other national labs, industry, and other research organizations.
NREL coordinates CAEBAT activities with representatives from the battery, vehicle, and software industries, as well as researchers at universities and other national labs. In addition to NREL, CAEBAT partners include:
Battery Design LLC
General Motors (GM)
Johnson Controls Inc.
USCAR Crash Safety Working Group
CAEBAT Partner Publications
The following publications document CAEBAT partners' activities. Also see a list of NREL's CAEBAT publications.
- July 2014: "Advanced Lithium-Ion Battery Simulation Tools Available," CD-adapco.
- 2014: "Simulation of Electrolyte Composition Effects on High Energy Lithium-Ion Cells", R. Spotnitz, K. Gering, S. Hartridge, and G. Damblanc, ECS Trans. 2014 58(13): 25-36; doi:10.1149/05813.0025ecst
- 2014: "Applying Simulation to Advanced Batteries," S. Hartridge. Lithium Battery Power 2014, Washington.
- 2014: "Thermal & Electrochemical Simulation of Automotive Battery Pack Systems," S. Hartridge, G. Damblanc, and R. Spotnitz.
- May 2013: "A new approach to Li-ion battery modeling"
- April 2013: R. Spotnitz, Design and Simulation of Spirally-Wound, Lithium-Ion Cells
- 2012: Spotnitz, R., Kaludercic, B., Muzaferija, S., Peric, M., et al., "Geometry-Resolved Electro-Chemistry Model of Li-Ion Batteries," SAE Int. J. Alt. Power. 1(1):160-168, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0663.
- August 2012: "CD-adapco releases Li-ion battery simulation module for CAE software; part of DOE's CAEBAT program," Green Car Congress.
- Zhao, W., Luo, G., and Wang, C.Y. (2015). "Modeling Internal Shorting Process in Large-Format Li-Ion Cells," J. Electrochem. Soc., 162(7), A1352-A1364.
- W. Zhao, G. Luo and C.Y. Wang, "Modeling Nail Penetration Process in Large-Format Li-ion Cells," J. Electrochem. Soc., 162 (1) A207-A217 (2015).
- W. Zhao, G. Luo, and C.Y. Wang, "Effect of Tab Design on Large-Format Li-ion Cell Performance," Journal of Power Sources 257 70-79 (2014).
- G.S. Zhang, L. Cao, S. Ge, C.Y. Wang, C. E. Shaffer, C. D. Rahn, "In Situ Measurement of Temperature Distribution in a Cylindrical Li-ion Cell," to be submitted (2014).
- Kalupson, J., Luo, G., and Shaffer, C., "AutoLion™: A Thermally Coupled Simulation Tool for Automotive Li-ion Batteries," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1522, 2013, doi: 10.4271/2013-01-1522. SAE International World Congress and Exhibition, April 16, 2013, Detroit, MI.
- Ji, Y., Zhang, Y., and Wang, C.Y. (2013). "Li-Ion Operation at Low Temperatures," J. Electrochem. Soc., 160(4), A636-A649.
- Zhang, G., Shaffer, C. E., Wang, C. Y., & Rahn, C. D. (2013). "In-Situ Measurement of Current Distribution in a Li-Ion Cell," J. Electrochem. Soc., 160(4), A610-A615.
- Ji, Y., Wang, C.Y. (2013). "Heating Strategies for Li-Ion Batteries Operated from Subzero Temperatures," Electrochimica Acta, 107, 664-674.
- Guangsheng Zhang, Christian E. Shaffer, Chao-Yang Wang, and Christopher D. Rahn, "Effects of Non-uniform Current Distribution on Energy Density of Li-ion Cells," J. Electrochem. Soc., 160 A2299-A2305 (2013).
- G.S. Zhang, L. Cao, S. Ge, C.Y. Wang, C. E. Shaffer, and C. D. Rahn, "In Situ Measurement of Li-Ion Battery Internal Temperature," 224th ECS Meeting, Abstract #538, San Francisco, CA, USA, Oct. 27 - Nov. 01, 2013.
- G. Luo and C.Y. Wang, A Multi-dimensional, Electrochemical-Thermal Coupled Li-ion Battery Model, Chap.6 in Lithium-Ion Batteries: Advanced Materials and Technologies, CRC Press, 2012.
- Yang, Xiao Guang, Miller, Ted, and Yu, Paul, Ford Motor Company, "Li-Ion Electrochemical Model," 2012 Automotive Simulation World Congress, October 30-31, 2012, Detroit, MI.
- Shaffer, C.E., Wang, C.Y., Luo, G. and Zhao, W., "Safety Analysis Design of Lithium-ion Battery EV Pack through Computer Simulation," Battery Safety 2012, Knowledge Foundation Conference, December 6-7, 2012, Las Vegas, NV.
- Shaffer, C.E., and Wang, C.Y., "Thermal Management for Start-up of Li-Ion Batteries," 222nd Meeting of The Electrochemical Society (PRiME 2012), Honolulu, HI, October 7-12, 2012.
- Luo, Gang, Shaffer, C.E. and Wang C.Y., "Electrochemical-thermal Coupled Modeling for Battery Pack Design," 222nd Meeting of The Electrochemical Society (PRiME 2012), Honolulu, HI, October 7-12, 2012.
- Wei Zhao, C.Y. Wang, Gang Luo, Christian E. Shaffer, "New Findings on Large Li-ion Battery Safety through Computer Simulation," Battery Safety 2011 - Advancements in System Design, Integration, & Testing for Safety & Reliability, November 9-10, 2011, Las Vegas, NV.
- Saeed Asgari, Xiao Hu, Michael Tsuk, Shailendra Kaushik, "Application of POD plus LTI ROM to Battery Thermal Modeling: SISO Case," to be presented in 2014 SAE World Congress.
- Xiao Hu, Scott Stanton, Long Cai, Ralph E. White, "A Linear Time-Invariant Model for Solid-Phase Diffusion in Physics-Based Lithium-Ion Cell Models," Journal of Power Sources 214 (2012) 40-50.
- M. Guo and R. E. White, "Mathematical Model for a Spirally-Wound Lithium-Ion Cell," Journal of Power Sources 250 (2014), also presented at the ECS meeting, spring 2014, Orlando, FL.
- R. Rebba, J. McDade, S. Kaushik, J. Wang, T. Han, "Verification and Validation of Semi-Empirical Thermal Models for Lithium Ion Batteries," 2014 SAE World Congress, Detroit, MI.
- G. Li, S. Li, "Physics-Based CFD Simulation of Lithium-Ion Battery under a Real Driving Cycle," Presentation at 2014 ECS and SMEQ Joint International Meeting, Oct 5-9, 2014, Cancun, Mexico.
- G. Li, S. Li, and J. Cao, "Application of the MSMD Framework in the Simulation of Battery Packs," Paper IMECE2014-39882, Proceedings of ASME 2014 International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECM 2014, Nov 14-20, 2014, Montreal, Canada.
- Y. Dai, L. Cai, and R. E. White, "Simulation and Analysis of Inhomogeneous Degradation in Large Format LiMn2O4/Carbon Cells," J. Electrochem. Soc., 161 (8), 2014.
- T. Han, G. Kim, R. White, D. Tselepidakis, "Development of Computer Aided Design Tools for Automotive Batteries," ANSYS Convergence Conference, Detroit, MI, June 5, 2014.
- T. Han, M. Fortier, L. Collins, "Accelerating Electric-Vehicle Battery Development with Advanced Simulation," Aug 21, 2014, Webcast seminar organized by SAE International.
- Meng Guo, Ralph E. White, "A Distributed Thermal Model for a Li-Ion Electrode Plate Pair," Journal of Power Sources 221 (2013) 334-344.
- Ralph E. White, Meng Guo, and Gi-Heon Kim, "A Three-Dimensional Multi-Physics Model for a Li-Ion Battery," Journal of Power Sources, 2013.
- Taeyoung Han, Gi-Heon Kim, Lewis Collins, "Multiphysics Simulation Tools Power the Modeling of Thermal Management in Advanced Lithium-Ion Battery Systems," ANSYS Quarterly magazine Advantage, 2012.
- Taeyoung Han, Gi-Heon Kim, and Lewis Collins, "Development of Computer-Aided Design Tools for Automotive Batteries-CAEBAT," Automotive Simulation World Congress (ASWC), Detroit, October 2012.
- Xiao Hu, Scott Stanton, Long Cai, and Ralph E. White, "A Linear Time-Invariant Model for Solid-Phase Diffusion in Physics-Based Lithium Ion Cell Models," Journal of Power Sources 214 (2012) 40-50.
- Xiao Hu, Scott Stanton, Long Cai, and Ralph E. White, "Model Order Reduction for Solid-Phase Diffusion in Physics-Based Lithium Ion Cell Models," Journal of Power Sources 218 (2012) 212-220.