2015 IECRE: PV System Certification Workshop
Thursday, February 26, 2015
Chair: George Kelly (Sunset Technology)
The IEC System for Certification to Standards Relating to Equipment for Use in Renewable Energy Applications (IECRE System) was recently created to enable certification of renewable energy systems. The methodology for issuing a certificate for a wind turbine system is already largely defined, but there is substantial work still required to put together the guidelines for certifying PV systems. This workshop included an introduction of IECRE followed by a working day to review the status of the guidelines that are being generated with presentations and discussions targeting the most critical or controversial items.
This workshop gathered wide input from the PV community to gain acceptance of the new system by all involved. Several presentations were made covering the specific perspectives of a variety of stakeholders in the process for certification of PV systems.
For a detailed schedule of the day's events, access the agenda.
This event is part of the 2015 Photovoltaic Module Reliability Workshop, which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Energy Technologies Office.
The presentations listed are available as Adobe Acrobat PDFs.
Discussion notes for the Rules of Procedure session are also available.
- ICERE Certification Workshop Introduction—George Kelly (Chair), Sunset Technology
- Background and Current Status of the IECRE System—Sandy Butterfield, IECRE
- Current Status of the PV Sector of IECRE—George Kelly, Sunset Technology
Discussion notes for the Stakeholders' Perspectives session are also available.
- Financers/Investors/Owners—Jon Previtali, Wells Fargo
- Financers/Investors/Owners—Mike Roy, Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company
- Certifying Bodies/Test Laboratories—Peter Bostock, VDE
- Certifying Bodies/Test Laboratories—Matthias Heinze, TUV Rheinland
- Certifying Bodies/Test Laboratories—Tadashi Obayashi, JET
- Manufacturers/EPCs/O&M Providers—Sumanth Lokanath, First Solar
- Manufacturers/EPCs/O&M Providers—Rue Phillips, True South Renewables
- Manufacturers/EPCs/O&M Providers—Joe Cunningham, Centrosolar
- Manufacturers/EPCs/O&M Providers—Eric Daniels, Field Energy Operations
- Survey Summary—Greg Ball, DNV GL
- Scope of Certification—Raj Bedi, First Solar
- Applicable Standards—George Kelly, TC82
- Mutual Recognition—Sunny Rai, Intertek
- Personnel Certification—Don Warfield, NABCEP
- Issues to be Resolved—Alex Mikonowicz, Powermark and John Wohlgemuth, NREL
The posters listed are available as Adobe Acrobat PDFs.
- Reliability Concerns with Module Level Rapid Shutdown—Jonathan O'Neill and Karen Maxwell
- Commissioning, Certification, Acceptance and Performance Testing: What Do They Mean?—Rue Phillips
- NABCEP PV System Inspector Job Task Analysis—Richard Lawrence