Case Study: Pearl Road Auto Parts, Cleveland, Ohio
December 31, 2012
In May 2009, the owners of Pearl Road Auto Parts in Cleveland, Ohio, began the installation of a 120-kilowatt refurbished Vestas V20 wind turbine. Construction was completed in September 2009, with the turbine beginning to produce energy in November 2009. Since then, the turbine has produced power to offset energy costs for the fourth-generation family-owned business. Wind Powering America verified the following project facts with Jon Kaplan of Pearlwind.
- The total project cost was $375,000. Funding included a $147,500 grant from the Ohio Department of Development's Advanced Energy Office and nearly $100,000 from an American Recovery and Reinvestment Act 1603 grant.
- The project's estimated payback is 5 years.
- The project resulted in contracts with multiple northeast Ohio businesses:
- Cleveland's Alber & Rice, Inc. designed the engineering plans.
- Great Lakes Construction in Hinckley excavated and built the foundation.
- Donald L. Geitz Architect and Associates in Medina planned the project.
- Affiliated Metals in Cleveland fabricated a 60-foot tower extension and foundation rings.
- The Job Shop is the electrical contractor, and Electrical Design Consultants in Cleveland provides electrical engineering expertise.
- Geo-Sci Inc. in Berea is the geotechnical engineer.
- National City, now part of PNC Financial Services Group Inc., financed the project.
- Prior to the installation, a typical monthly winter electric bill for Pearl Road Auto Parts was $2,200. The turbine provides approximately 80% of the electricity for the business. In February 2011, the electric bill was $200.