Hodges Badge Company Wind Project Case Study
October 22, 2012
In May 2012, Hodges Badge Company, manufacturer of custom ribbons and other awards in the United States, announced that construction was complete on the wind turbine at their East Main Road location in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. Facts about the turbine, which is expected to produce more energy than the family-owned and -operated facility's needs in a typical year, follows.
- 50-kilowatt Siva turbine
- Expected to generate an estimated 450,000 kilowatt-hours of energy a year
- Third operational wind turbine in the Portsmouth community
- The project cost ~ $900,000
- $156,250 in funding received from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) Program, administered by the Rhode Island Office of Energy Resources
- $225,000 grant received from the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation Renewable Energy Fund
- Estimated payback to the Hodges Badge Company is 4 to 5 years.
The company has published a series of blog posts detailing the turbine project's progress.