H2A: Hydrogen Analysis Production Models
The Hydrogen Analysis (H2A) hydrogen production models provide transparent reporting of process design assumptions and a consistent cost analysis methodology for hydrogen production at central and distributed (forecourt/filling-station) facilities.
The H2A central and distributed hydrogen production models, documentation, and copies of all technology case studies are available for free. NREL develops and maintains these models with support from the U.S. Department of Energy Fuel Cell Technologies Office.
Required input to the models includes capital and operating costs for the hydrogen production process, fuel type and use, and financial parameters such as the type of financing, plant life, and desired internal rate of return. The models include default values, developed by the H2A team, for many of the input parameters, but users may also enter their own values. The models use a standard discounted cash flow rate of return analysis methodology to determine the hydrogen selling cost for the desired internal rate of return.
Download Version 3.2018 Models
These files contain macros necessary for hydrogen price calculation.
If you're having difficulty opening these Excel files through your browser, please contact the Webmaster.
Version 3.2018 of the models was released in 2018 and includes the following updates and corrections:
- Updated plant start dates: current technology to 2015 and future technologies to 2040.
- Updated energy feedstock costs with AEO 2017 case. Costs were extrapolated beyond AEO forecast window using GCAM.
- Changed reference year dollars to 2016$.
- Updated emissions factors with GREET 2015 values.
- Updated distributed hydrogen production cases to comply with HDSAM updated parameters for hydrogen refueling stations.
- Updated price indexes for GDP deflator, plant cost, labor cost, and chemical price until 2016.
- Updated carbon sequestration techno-economic assessment.
- Updated federal tax rate to 21%.
Updated cost of capital parameters: 40% equity financing, constant outstanding debt, 3.7% interest rate, 8% real after-tax internal rate of return.
For more version history and to download previous versions, see the H2A model archives.