For accurate and repeatable data, researchers at the NREL Metrology Laboratory at the Solar Radiation Research Laboratory ensure their measurements are traceable and their instruments are calibrated according to national or international standards.
The Metrology Laboratory provides National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) traceability for electrical, physical, and spectral:
- Current shunts
- Current sources
- Data loggers
- Electrical transducers
- Frequency counters
- Function generators
- Lock-in amplifiers
- Mass balances
- Power supplies
- Pressure calibrators and gauges
- Quantum (PAR) and photometric sensors*
- Solar spectral distribution (natural and artificial)
- Spectral reflectance and transmission of materials (functional check only)
- Temperature and humidity probes and monitors
- Ultraviolet radiometers*
- Voltage sources
- Watt meters.
*Note: NREL's Metrology Lab conducts these calibrations May through August annually, weather permitting.