Dr. Jianping Yu received a B.S. degree in Biology from Sichuan University in 1985, an M.S. degree in Genetics from Chinese Academy of Sciences in 1988, and a Ph.D. degree in Botany and Plant Pathology from Michigan State University (MSU) in 1997. Prior to joining NREL in 2005, Dr. Yu worked at the MSU-DOE Plant Research Laboratory in East Lansing, Michigan. Dr. Yu's research interests include bio-hydrogen and biodiesel production using photosynthetic microorganisms.
- P.C. Maness, J. Yu, C. Eckert, and M.L. Ghirardi (2009). "Photobiological Hydrogen Production—Prospects and Challenges." Microbe (4:6); pp. 275-280.
- Ghirardi, M.L.; Dubini, A.; Yu, J.; and Maness, P.C. (2008). "Photobiological Hydrogen-Producing Systems." Chemical Society Review (37); pp. 1-10.
- Maria L. Ghirardi, Matthew Posewitz, Pin-Ching Maness, Alexandra Dubini, Jianping Yu, and Michael Seibert (2007). "Photobiological hydrogen production — from genes to enzymes and organisms." Annual Review of Plant Biology (58); pp. 71-91.
- Carlos G. Bartoli, Jianping Yu, Facundo Gómez, Laura Fernández, Lee McIntosh, and Christine H. Foyer (2006). "Inter-relationships between light and respiration in the control of ascorbic acid synthesis and accumulation in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves." Journal of Experimental Botany (57); pp. 1621-1631.
- Jianping Yu, Gaozhong Shen, Tao Wang, Donald Bryant, John H. Golbeck, and Lee McIntosh (2003). "Suppressor mutations in the study of photosystem I biogenesis: sll0088 is a previously unidentified gene involved in reaction center accumulation in Synechocystis sp. strain PCC 6803." Journal of Bacteriology (185); pp. 3878-3887.