Institute Research Fellow
Dr. Wei received his B.S. in Physics from Fudan University, Shanghai, China in 1981, and a Ph.D. in Physics from the College of William and Mary in Virginia in 1985 under the supervision of Prof. Henry Krakauer. His Ph.D. work is on the development of a general potential, self-consistent linearized augmented plane wave (LAPW) code to study electronic and structural properties of semiconductors, metal surfaces, d-band and f-band metals, and compounds. He joined NREL in 1985 as a postdoctoral researcher working with Dr. Alex Zunger. Currently, he is now an Institute Research Fellow and Team Leader of the Theoretical Materials Science Group within the Materials Sciences Center. He has published more than 380 peer-reviewed papers, including more than 66 papers in Physical Review Letters. His papers have been cited more than 28,000 times (H index = 86). He is a Fellow of both the American Physical Society and The Materials Research Society.
- Optoelectronic properties of photovoltaic and light-emitting materials
- Defect physics in semiconductors
- Electronic structures and stabilities of alloys, superlattices, and interfaces
- Novel properties in nano materials
- Magnetic properties of semiconductors
- Electronic properties of organic and hybrid semiconductors
- Energy storage materials.
- Dvorak, M.; Wu, Z.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Origin of the variation of exciton binding energy in semiconductors." Phys. Rev. Lett. (110); p. 016402. http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v110/i1/e016402.
- Huang, B.; Xiang, H.; Xu, Q.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Overcoming the phase inhomogeneity in chemically functionalized graphene: The case of graphene oxides." Phys. Rev. Lett. (110); p. 085501. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.085501.
- Xiang, H.J.; Huang, B.; Kan, E.; Wei, S.-H.; Gong, X.G. (2013). "Towards direct-gap silicon phases by the inverse band structure design approach." Phys. Rev. Lett. (110); p. 118702. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.118702.
- Ma, J.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Origin of novel diffusion of Cu and Ag in semiconductors: The case of CdTe." Phys. Rev. Lett. (110); p. 235901. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.235901.
- Kang, J.; Glatzmaier, G.C.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Origin of the bismuth-induced decohesion of nickel and copper grain boundaries." Phys. Rev. Lett. (111); p. 055502. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.055502.
- Ma, J.; Kuciauskas, D.; Albin, D.; Bhattacharya, R.; Reese, M.; Barnes, T.; Gessert, T.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Dependence of the Minority-Carrier Lifetime on the Stoichiometry of CdTe Using Time-Resolved Photoluminescence and First-Principles Calculations." Phys. Rev. Lett. (111); p. 067402. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.067402.
- Huang, B.; Xiang, H.J.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Chemical functionalization of silicene: Spontaneous structural transition and exotic electronic properties." Phys. Rev. Lett. (111); p. 145502. http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v111/i6/e145502.
- Kang, J.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Tunable Anderson localization in hydrogenated graphene based on electric field effects." Phys. Rev. Lett. (111); p. 216801. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.216801.