Dr. Raghu Bhattacharya is a Senior Scientist in the Chemical and Materials Science Center. Dr. Bhattacharya and colleagues have pioneered a unique processing approach using electrodeposition to prepare superconducting oxide films and buffer layers. Electrodeposition is a high-rate, cost-effective thick-film tape process. His team obtained a critical current density of 1.8 MA/cm2 at 75.2 K in 600 Gauss magnetic field for a YBCO superconductor using a nonvacuum electrodeposited buffer layer. This is a world-record critical current density (a measure of how much current a wire can carry divided by its cross-sectional area). This tape has the potential to offer lower cost and superior performance to alternative methods that are under development.
Dr. Bhattacharya also works in the area of thin-film photovoltaics, focusing on the semiconductor based on copper indium gallium diselenide (CIGS). In collaboration with National Center for Photovotaics team members, he has fabricated a world-record (18.5%-efficient) thin-film solar cell using a unique ZnS(0,OH)/CIGS device structure with a single-layer, chemical-bath-deposited ZnS/(O,OH) buffer layer.
- 139+ publications
- 21 patents
- Author of a book chapter
1978–1982 Ph.D. in Semiconductor Thin Films at IIT Kharagpur, India
1978–1982 C.S.I.R. Fellowship
1976–1978 National Scholarship
1978 1st class 1st, M.S.
1976 1st class 1st, B.S.
- R.N. Bhattacharya, "Electrodeposition Process for Forming Superconducting Ceramics," U.S. Patent No. 5,550,104 (27 August 1996).
- R.N. Bhattacharya, W. Batchelor, H. Wiesner, K. Ramanathan, and R.N. Noufi, "Preparation of CuxInyGazSen (x=0-2, y=0-2, z=0-2, n= 0-3) Precursor Films and Powders by Electroless Deposition for Semiconductor Device Application," U.S. Patent No. 5,976,614 (2 November 1999).
- Bhattacharya, R.N.; Contreras, M.A.; Teeter, G. (2004). "18.5% CIGS Device Using Single-Layer, Chemical-Bath-Deposited ZnS(O,OH)." Japanese Journal of Applied Physics (43:11B); pp. L1475-L1476. Accessed July 26, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.43.L1475.
- Bhattacharya, R.N.; Spagnol, P.; Miao, H.; Marken, K.; Willis, J.O. (2004). "Nanoparticle Incorporated Superconducting Bi-2212 Tapes." Physics Status Solidi (a) (201:13); pp. 2880-2885. Accessed July 26, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/pssa.200406858.
- Bhattacharya, R.N.; Batchelor, W.; Hiltner, J.F.; Sites, J.R. (2000). "Thin-film CuIn1-xGaxSe2 Photovoltaic Cells from Solution-Based Precursor Layers." Applied Physics Letters (75:6); Accessed July 26, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0040-6090(99)00809-3.
- Bhattacharya, R.N.; Shen, H.; Parayanthal, P.; Pollak, F. H.; Coutts, T.; Aharoni, H. (1988). "Electroreflectance and Photoreflectance Study of the Space-Charge Region in Semiconductors: ITO/InP as a Model System." Physics Review B. (37:8); pp. 4044-4050. Accessed July 26, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.37.4044.