Senior Scientist (V)
Dr. Kopidakis received his Ph.D. in 1998 from the University of Crete in Greece. His thesis research focused on defect creation in hydrogenated amorphous silicon. He then worked for a year as a postdoctoral researcher in the group of prof. Eric Schiff at the University of Syracuse in New York. There he extended his amorphous silicon work to include defect spectroscopy of photovoltaic devices. During that time he also worked on dye-sensitized TiO2 solar cells, and in particular on measurements of their unique charge transport and recombination properties.
He joined NREL in 2001 as a postdoctoral researcher in the group of Dr. Arthur Frank. There he investigated various aspects of charge generation and loss in dye-sensitized TiO2 solar cells.
In 2004 he became a Research Scientist and shifted his interests to organic photovoltaics (OPV), where he has contributed to process development, new materials design and characterization, and device physics. He is now leading the OPV R&D program at NREL, which aims to develop new active layer materials and device architectures to advance OPV toward a commercial technology.
- 2007-present: Scientist V, Chemical and Materials Center, NREL, Golden, CO.
- 2004–2007 Scientist II, Center for Basic Sciences, NREL, Golden, CO.
- 2001–2004 Research Associate, Center for Basic Sciences, NREL
- 1998–1999 Research Associate, Department of Physics, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
1998 Ph.D., Amorphous Semiconductor Physics, University of Crete, Greece
1992 B.S., Physics, University of Crete, Greece
- Frank, A. J.; Kopidakis, N.; van de Lagemaat, J. (2004). "Electrons in nanostructured TiO2 solar cells, transport recombination and electronic properties." Coord. Chem. Rev. (248:13-14); pp. 1165-1179.
- Kopidakis, N.; Mitchell, W. J.; van de Lagemaat, J.; Ginley, D. S.; Rumbles, G.; Shaheen, S. E.; Rance, W. L. (2006). "Bulk heterojunction organic photovoltaic devices based on phenyl-cored thiophene dendrimers." Appl. Phys. Lett. (89); p. 103524.
- Kose, M. E.; Mitchell, W. J.; Kopidakis, N.; Chang, C. H.; Shaheen, S. E.; Kim, K. ; Rumbles, G. (2007). "Theoretical Studies on Conjugated Phenyl-Cored Thiophene Dendrimers for Photovoltaic Applications." J. Am. Chem. Soc. (129); p. 14257.
- Piris, J.; Kopidakis, N.; Olson, D. C.; Shaheen, S. E.; Ginley, D. S.; Rumbles, G. (2007). "The Locus of Free Charge-Carrier Generation in Solution-Cast Zn1-xMgx O/Poly(3-hexylthiophene) Bilayers for Photovoltaic Applications." Adv. Funct. Mater. (17); p. 3849.
- Green, A.; Morfa, A.; Ferguson, A. J.; Kopidakis, N.; Rumbles, G.; Shaheen, S. E. (2008). "Performance of bulk heterojunction photovoltaic devices prepared by airbrush spray deposition." Appl. Phys. Lett. (92); p. 33301.
- Piris, J.; Ferguson, A. J.; Blackburn, J. L.; Norman, A. G.; Rumbles, G.; Selmarten, D. C.; Kopidakis, N. (2008). "Efficient Photoinduced Charge Injection from Chemical Bath Deposited CdS into Mesoporous TiO2 Probed with Time-Resolved Microwave Conductivity." J. Phys. Chem. C (112); p. 7742.
- Reese, M. O.; Morfa, A. J.; White, M. S.; Kopidakis, N.; Shaheen, S. E.; Rumbles, G.; Ginley, D. S. (2008). "Pathways for degradation of organic photovoltaic P3HT:PCBM based devices." Sol. En. Mater. Sol. Cells. (92); p. 746.
- Olson, D. C.; Lee, Y.-J.; White, M. S.; Kopidakis, N.; Shaheen, S. E.; Ginley, D. S.; Voigt, J. A.; Hsu, J. W. P. (2008). "Effect of Processing on the Photovoltage of ZnO/Poly(3-hexylthiophene) Solar Cells." J. Phys. Chem. C Lett. (112); p. 9544.