Matthew Beard received a Ph.D. degree in Physical Chemistry from Yale University in 2002 and joined the Chemical and Biosciences Center at NREL in 2003 as a postdoctoral researcher in the group of Arthur Nozik. His research interest spans a large range of important physical chemistry problems relating to photoconversion. This includes charge transport in nanoparticle arrays and organic semiconductors, charge and energy transfer, and size-dependent phenomena in quantum-sized materials. He is currently investigating carrier generation and charge transport in assemblies of semiconductor nanocrystals.
Current Research Activities
- Fundamental exciton dissociation and carrier-relaxation dynamics in semiconductor nanocrystals
- Multiple-exciton generation in semiconductor nanocrystals
- Photoconductivity measurements in thin nanostructured films such as carbon nanotube films and electronically coupled semiconductor nanocrystals
- Ultrafast transient-absorption spectroscopy and pump/probe THz spectroscopy
- Size- and shape-dependent phenomenon in semiconductor nanocrystals.
2003 National Renewable Energy Laboratory
2002–2003 National Institute of Standards and Technology. Construction of a hyperspectral far-IR imaging spectrometer; study of liquid dynamics in halogenated benzenes utilizing far-IR and coherent Raman spectroscopies.
1997–2002 Yale University (Prof. Charles Schmuttenmaer). Ph.D. dissertation title, "Time-resolved THz spectroscopy: Charge transfer, solvent dynamics, and photoconductivity."
- Beard, M. C.; Midgett, A. G.; Law, M.; Semonin, O.E.; Ellingson, R. J.; Nozik, A. J. (2009). "Variations in the Quantum Efficiency of Multiple Exciton Generation for a Series of Chemically Treated PbSe Nanocrystal Films." Nano. Lett. (9:2); pp. 836-845. Accessed July 11, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl803600v.
- Law, M.; Beard, M. C.; Choi, S.; Luther, J. M.; Hanna, M.; Nozik, A. J. (2008). "Determining the Internal Quantum Efficiency of PbSe Nanocrystal Solar Cells with the Aid of an Optical Model." Nano. Lett. (8:11); pp. 3904-3910. Accessed July 19, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl802353x.
- Beard, M.C.; Blackburn, J.L.; Heben, M.J. (2008). "Photogenerated free-carrier dynamics in metal and semiconductor single walled carbon nanotube films." Nano. Lett. (8:12); pp. 4238-4242. Accessed July 19, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl801913y.
- Beard, M.C.; Ellingson, R.J. (2008). "Multiple exciton generation in semiconductor nanocrystals: Toward efficient solar energy conversion." Laser & Photon. Rev. (2:5); pp. 377-399. Accessed July 19, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/lpor.200810013.