Dr. Dinh is a senior scientist and project leader at NREL. She earned her bachelor's degree in applied chemistry in 1993 at the University of Calgary in Alberta, Canada, with a thesis entitled "Kinetics & Equilibria of the Zn-EDTA-PAR Postcolumn Reaction Detection System for the Determination of Alkaline Earth Metals." In 1998 she earned her doctorate in electrochemistry, also from the University of Calgary with a thesis entitled "Electrochemical and Structural Studies of Polyaniline Film Growth and Degradation at Different Substrate Surfaces." As a postdoctoral researcher at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico, Dinh characterized commercial PtRu anode catalysts for direct methanol fuel cells (DMFC) to gain an understanding of the key properties of PtRu contributing to high catalytic activity in a DMFC.
Dinh has more than 15 years of experience in direct methanol, hydrogen polymer electrolyte membrane, and zinc/air fuel cells at national laboratories and in industry. Prior to joining NREL, she worked at three different fuel cell start-up companies and is now part of the leadership team responsible for building a fuel cell R&D program at NREL. Dr. Dinh also supported the Fuel Cell Manufacturing R&D and Technology Validation projects. She has also led an international working group to develop standard photoelectrochemical testing protocols for the DOE Hydrogen Production program, which has resulted in the publication of a Springer Brief. Also prior to joining NREL, she was involved in developing commercial fuel cells, fuel cartridges, and humidity sensor products. For five years, she participated in UL2265, IEC TC105 and USFCC fuel cell regulatory approval committees and assisted in developing standards and regulations for methanol fuel cell cartridges.
Currently, Dr. Dinh coordinates NREL's hydrogen production and delivery projects with the U.S. Department of Energy and is a principle investigator for effects of system contaminants on polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) performance and durability.
Her research interests include fuel cell catalysis (PEMFCs, DMFCs); contaminants; renewable hydrogen production, including photoelectrochemistry, fermentation of biomass and the photobiological approach to hydrogen production, solar thermochemical hydrogen production, renewable electrolysis, and reforming bio-boil.
- Chen, Z.; Dinh, H.N.; Miller, E.; Deutsch, T.G.; Domen, K.; Emery, K.; Forman, A.J.; Gaillard, N.; Garland, R.; Heske, C.; Jaram (2013). "Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting: Standards, Experimental Methods, and Protocols," Zhebo Chen, Huyen N. Dinh, Eric Miller, , NY: Springer;
- Leong, G.J.; Schulze, M.C.; Strand, M.B.; Maloney, D.; Frisco, S.L.; Dinh, H.N.; Pivovar, B., Richards, R.M. (2013). "Shape-directed platinum nanoparticle synthesis: nanoscale design of novel catalysts." Applied Organometallic Chemistry http://WileyOnlineLibrary.com.
- Wang, H.; Macomber, C.S.; Christ, J.; Bender, G.; Pivovar, B.; Dinh, H.N. (2014). "Evaluating the Influence of PEMFC System Contaminants on the Performance of Pt Catalyst via Cyclic Voltammetry." Electrocatalysis (5); pp. 62-67.
- Macomber, C.S.; Christ, J.; Wang, H.; Pivovar, B.S.; Dinh, H.N. (2013). "Characterizing Leachant Contaminants from Fuel Cell Assembly Aids, a Prelude to Effects on Performance." ECS Transactions (50:2); pp. 603-618.
- Pylypenko, S.; Borisevich, A.; More, K.L.; Corpuz, A.R.; Holme, T.; Dameron, A.A.; Olson, T.S.; Dinh, H.N. T. Gennett and R. O' (2013). "Nitrogen: unraveling the secret to stable carbon-supported Pt-alloy electrocatalysts." Energy Environ. Sci (6:10); pp. 2957-2964.
- Pylypenko, S.; Queen, A.; Olson, T.S.; Dameron, A.; O’Neill, K.; Neyerlin, K.C.; Pivovar, B.; Dinh, H.N.; Ginley, D.S.; Gennett, (2011). "Tuning carbon-based fuel cell catalyst support structures via nitrogen functionalization. Part II: investigation of durability of Pt-Ru nanoparticles supported on highly oriented pyrolytic graphite doped with nitrogen." J Phys Chem (C 2011 115:28); pp. 13676-13684.
- Dinh, H.N.; Ren, X.; Garzon, F.H.; Zelenay, P.; Gottesfeld, S. (2000). "Electrocatalysis in Direct Methanol Fuel Cells: In Situ Probing of PtRu Anode Catalyst Surfaces." J Electroanal Chem (491:1-2); pp. 222-233.
- Arias, J.; Dinh, H.; Kukkonen, C.; Beckmann, G. (2007). "Fuel cell cartridge and fuel delivery system." EP Patent 1779455