Dr. Angelo Mascarenhas is a manager of the Experimental Materials Sciences Group and project leader for Experimental Condensed Matter Physics in the Energy Sciences directorate at NREL. He received his Ph.D. in physics from the University of Pittsburgh in 1986 under the guidance of Prof. W.J. Choyke (formerly at Westinghouse Labs) and did postdoctoral research with Dr. Jaques Pankove, SERI (formerly at RCA David Sarnoff Labs). Since then he has been working at NREL in the area of spectroscopic research on semiconductor materials for photonics and advanced Solar Cells. He was the project leader for Solid State Spectroscopy for the past 22 years and has done extensive research on harnessing the material consequences of semiconductor alloy instabilities such as spontaneous ordering and spontaneous composition modulation for optoelectronic applications. His research related to the consequences of spontaneous lateral composition modulation on the optical properties of short period superlattices helped pioneer this very novel field. More recently, he introduced the study of dilute bismide alloys as an analogous counterpart of dilute nitride alloys, which has significant implications for photovoltaics as well as the field of spintronics. He also invented the concept of isoelectronic co-doping for tailoring the optical properties of semiconductor alloys for applications related to very high efficiency solar cells, solid state lighting, and advanced communication lasers. He is an author of 260 scientific publications, and is a fellow of RASEI, a joint NREL-CU renewable energy institute.
- Fluegel, B.; Zhang, Y.; Mascarenhas, A.; Huang, X.; Li, J. (2004). "Electronic properties of hybrid organic-inorganic semiconductors." Phys. Rev. B. (70); p. 205308.
- Francoeur, S.; Klem, J.F.; Mascarenhas, A. (2004). "Optical spectroscopy of single impurity centers in semiconductors." Phys. Rev. Lett. (93); p. 67403.
- Zhang, Y.; Fluegel, B.; Mascarenhas, A. (2003). "Total Negative Refraction Refraction in Real Crystals for Ballistic Electrons and Light." Phys. Rev. Lett. (91); p. 157404.
- (2003). "Layer Ordering and Faulting in (GaAs)n/(AlAs)n Ultrashort-Period Superlattices." Phys. Rev. Lett. (91); p. 106103.
- Perkins, J.D.; Mascarenhas, A.; Zhang, Y.; Geisz, J.F.; Friedman, D.J.; Olson, J.M.; Kurtz, S.R. (1999). "N-activated transitions, level repulsion and band gap reduction in Ga1-xAsxN (x<0.03)." Phys. Rev. Lett. (82); p. 3312–3315.