Andrew Ferguson received his Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from Imperial College, researching the photophysical properties of molecular organic semiconductors under the supervision of Prof. Tim Jones in the Centre for Electronic Materials and Devices (CEMD).
After his graduate studies Dr. Ferguson joined Garry Rumbles' group at NREL as a postdoctoral researcher, investigating the fate of excitons and carriers in organic photovoltaic (OPV) material systems, such as conjugated-polymer:fullerene blends, using time-resolved microwave conductivity (TRMC) as well as time-resolved and steady-state photoluminescence spectroscopy.
Dr. Ferguson is now a research scientist in the Chemical and Materials Science Center and is actively involved in the investigation of novel mechanisms for third-generation solar photoconversion schemes. He is a principal investigator for an Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, Next Generation Photovoltaics II Project studying frequency upconversion phenomena to enhance solar conversion efficiencies, and is a key member in a research team investigating factors influencing singlet fission and the interaction of plasmon-active substrates with excited states in model organic semiconductor systems. Dr. Ferguson is also interested in understanding excited-state dynamics in blends of conjugated polymers and single-walled carbon nanotubes, and the potential application of such system as light-harvesting active layers for OPVs. He is currently leading, along with Dr. Jeffrey Blackburn, a Laboratory Directed Research & Development (LDRD) project focused on understanding and controlling the factors that affect the thermal and electrical transport properties of organic semiconductor thin films.
- Ferguson, A. J. ; Blackburn, J. L. ; Kopidakis, N. (2013). "Fullerenes and carbon nanotubes as acceptor materials in organic photovoltaics." Mater. Lett. (90); Accessed May 06, 2013: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167577X12012839.
- Nardes, A.M.; Ferguson, A.J.; Whitaker, J.B.; Larson, B.W.; Larsen, R.E.; Maturová, K.; Graf, P.A.; Boltalina, O.V.; ; Strauss, S.H.; Kopidakis, N. (2012). "Beyond PCBM: Understanding the Photovoltaic Performance of Blends of Indene-C60 Multiadducts with Poly(3-hexylthiophene)." Advanced Functional Materials (22); Accessed May 06, 2013: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adfm.201200336/abstract.
- Nardes, A.M.; Ayzner, A.L.; Hammond, S.R.; Ferguson, A.J.; Schwartz, B.J.; Kopidakis, N. (2012). "Photoinduced Charge Carrier Generation and Decay in Sequentially Deposited Polymer/Fullerene Layers: Bulk Heterojunction vs Planar Interface." The Journal of Physical Chemistry C (116:(13)); Accessed May 06, 2013: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp212390p?journalCode=jpccck&quickLinkVolume....
- Ferguson, A. J. ; Kopidakis, N. ; Shaheen, S. E. ; Rumbles, G. (2011). "Dark Carriers, Trapping, and Activation Control of Carrier Recombination in Neat P3HT and P3HT:PCBM Blends.." J. Phys. Chem. C (115:46); pp. 23134-23148. Accessed July 26, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp208014v.
- Rance, W. L. ; Ferguson, A. J. ; McCarthy-Ward, T. ; Heeney, M. ; Ginley, D. S. ; Olson, D. C. ; Rumbles, G. ; Kopidakis, N. (2011). "Photoinduced Carrier Generation and Decay Dynamics in Intercalated and Non-intercalated Polymer:Fullerene Bulk Heterojunctions." ACS Nano (5:7); pp. 5635-5646. Accessed July 26, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn201251v.
- Holt, J. M. ; Ferguson, A. J. ; Kopidakis, N. ; Larsen, B. A. ; Bult, J. ; Rumbles, G.; Blackburn, J. L. (2010). "Prolonging Charge Separation in P3HT-SWNT Composites Using Highly Enriched Semiconducting Nanotubes." Nano Lett. (10:11); pp. 4627-4633. Accessed July 26, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl102753z.
- Coffey, D. C. ; Ferguson, A. J. ; Kopidakis, N. ; Rumbles, G. (2010). "Photovoltaic Charge-Generation in Organic Semiconductors Based on Long-Range Energy Transfer." ACS Nano (4:9); pp. 5437-5445. Accessed July 26, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn101106b.
- Ferguson, A. J.; Blackburn, J. L. ; Holt, J. M. ; Kopidakis, N. ; Tenent, R. C. ; Barnes, T. M. ; Heben, M. J. ; Rumbles, G. (2010). "Photoinduced Energy and Charge Transfer in P3HT:SWNT Composites." J. Phys. Chem. Lett. (1:15); pp. 2406-2411. Accessed July 26, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jz100768f.
- Tenent, R.C.; Barnes, T.M.; Bergeson, J.D.; Ferguson, A.J.; To, B.; Gedvilas, L.M.; Heben, M.J.; Blackburn, J.L. (2009). "Ultra Smooth, Large Area, High Uniformity, Conductive Transparent Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Films for Photovoltaics Produced by Ultrasonic Spraying." Advanced Materials (21); p. 3210.
- Ferguson, A. J. ; Kopidakis, N. ; Shaheen, S. E. ; Rumbles, G. (2008). "Quenching of Excitons by Holes in Poly(3-hexylthiophene) Films." J. Phys. Chem. C (112:26); pp. 9865-9871. Accessed July 26, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp7113412.