When in junior high school, Aleksej Mialitsin noticed how the rainbow in the sky and the rainbow reflected from recorded CDs are the same. In the next days, he built his first spectrometer with a flash-light and cardboard, using a spare CD as a grating. A two-year stint with the German High School Physics Olympiad followed.
He obtained a Vordiplom (B. Sc.) in the departments of both Physics and Mathematics at the University of Siegen in Germany. His Diploma in Physics (M. Sc.) is from the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, where he specialized in experimental physics from 2001 to 2004. He received his doctoral degree (Ph. D.) in October 2010 from Rutgers University in New Jersey under the supervision of Prof. Girsh Blumberg with a thesis titled "Raman scattering from layered superconductors: effects of charge ordering, two-band superconductivity, and structural disorder."
Between his degrees, Aleksej spent time at the Clarendon Laboratory (University of Oxford, England), the St. Petersburg State University (Russian Federation), and the Bell Laboratories (Alcatel-Lucent, New Jersey). He joined the Materials and Chemistry division at NREL with Angelo Mascarenhas to do solid-state spectroscopy on two-dimensional plasmas in semiconducting nanostructures.
- Mialitsin, A.; Schmult, S.; Solov'yov, I. A.; Fluegel, B.; Mascarenhas, A. "Eigenstate localization in an asymmetric coupled quantum well pair." submitted to Superlattices and Microstructures
- Mialitsin, A. (2011). "Fano line shape and anti-crossing of Raman active E2g peaks in the charge density wave state of NbSe2." Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids (72(5); p. 568.
- Mialitsin, A.; Kim, J.; Kremer, R.; Blumberg, G. (2009). "Raman scattering from the CaC6 superconductor in the presence of disorder." Physical Review B. (79); p. 064503.
- Blumberg, G.; Mialitsin, A.; Dennis, B. S.; Zhigadlo, N. D.; Karpinski, J. (2007). "Multi-Gap Superconductivity in MgB2: Magneto-Raman Spectroscopy." Physica C. (456); pp. 75-82.
- Mialitsin, A.; Dennis, B.; Zhigadlo, N.; Karpinski, J.; Blumberg, G. (2007). "Anharmonicity and self-energy effects of the E2g phonon in MgB2." Physical Review B. (75(2); p. 020509.
- Blumberg, G.; Mialitsin, A.; Dennis, B. S.; Klein, M. V.; Zhigadlo, N. D.; Karpinski, J. (2007). "Observation of Leggett's collective mode in a multiband MgB2 superconductor." Physical Review Letters (99(22); p. 227002.