Deanne Sammond received a Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Biophysics from the University of North Carolina in 2008. She came to NREL to work in biomass research, with the goal of enhancing the conversion of biomass to fuel by improving the activity/function of cellulases. Her background is in the rational design and biophysical characterization of proteins. This includes the use and development of the protein design software called Rosetta. Dr. Sammond also worked on methods designed to predict sets of mutations to manipulate protein interactions as well as methods for the de novo design of peptides and peptide inhibitors.
- Sammond, D.W.; Joce, C.; Takeshita, R.; McQuate, S.; Ghosh, N.; Martin, J.M.; Yin, H. "Transmembrane peptides used to investigate the homo-oligomeric interface and binding hot-spot of Latent Membrane Protein 1." Manuscript in Review.
- Sammond, D.W.; Bosch, D.E.; Butterfoss, G.; Purbeck, C.; Machius, M.; Siderovski, D.P.; Kuhlman, B. "Computational Design of the Sequence and Structure of a Protein-Binding Peptide." Manuscript in Review.
- Bosch, D.E.; Kimple, A.J.; Sammond, D.W.; Muller, R.E.; Miley, M.J.; Machius, M.; Kuhlman, B.; Willard, F.S.; Siderovski, D.P. (February 2011). "Structural determinants of affinity enhancement between GoLoco motifs and G-protein alpha subunit mutants." J Biol Chem. (286:5); pp. 3351-3365.
- Sammond, D.W.; Eletr, Z.M.; Purbeck, C.; Kuhlman, B. (2010). "Computational design of second-site suppressor mutations at protein-protein interfaces." Proteins (78:4); pp. 1055-1065.
- Slivka, P.F.; Shridhar, M.; Lee, G.I.; Sammond, D.W.; Hutchinson, M.R.; Martinko, A.J.; ; Buchanan, M.M.; Sholar, P.W.; Kearney, J.J.; Harrison, J.A.; Watkins, L.R.; Yin, H. (2009). "A peptide antagonist of the TLR4-MD2 interaction." Chembiochem. (10:4); pp. 645-649.
- Sammond, D.W.; Eletr, Z.M.; Purbeck, C.; Kimple, R.J.; Siderovski, D.P.; Kuhlman, B. (2007). "Structure-based protocol for identifying mutations that enhance protein-protein binding affinities." J Mol Biol. (371:5); pp. 1392-1404.
- Urbanc, B.; Cruz, L.; Ding, F.; Sammond, D.; Khare, S.; Buldyrev, S.V.; Stanley, H.E.; Dokholyan, N.V. (October 2004). "Molecular dynamics simulation of amyloid beta dimer formation." Biophys J. (87:4); pp. 2310-2321.