User Call for Advanced Distribution Management System Test Bed Vehicle-Grid Integration Use Cases
NREL is accepting proposals from external research partners to identify projects that require using NREL's Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS) Test Bed capability for vehicle-grid integration (VGI) use cases.
The ADMS Test Bed is a key capability of NREL's Advanced Research on Integrated Energy Systems (ARIES) research platform that addresses the challenges associated with integrating distributed energy resources into the broader power system. The Test Bed helps utilities meet customer expectations of reliability, power quality, renewable energy use, data security, and energy resilience.
The ADMS Test Bed user call is seeking proposals from utilities, co-operatives, energy technologies companies, and any other research partner seeking to address the challenges of integrating high levels of electric vehicles (EVs) into the power system. Proposals must incorporate at least one of four VGI research areas below, and may address more than one VGI research area. Applicants may submit more than one proposal. The four VGI research areas are:
- VGI Research Area 1: Control architectures addresses control architectures and/or algorithms for systems with high levels of EVs and other distributed energy resources. The intent of this research area is to develop projects that evaluate emerging control architectures and/or algorithms on realistic power systems.
- VGI Research Area 2: Role of distributed energy resource management system and aggregators addresses ways to coordinate the operation of an ADMS with a distributed energy resource management system and/or aggregators and the level of visibility that the ADMS requires into distributed energy resource management system and/or aggregator operations to manage high levels of EVs and other distributed energy resources.
- VGI Research Area 3: Integration with buildings addresses the evaluation of control and management solutions that specifically include vehicle integration with buildings (residential or commercial).
- VGI Research Area 4: Communications architectures and cyber-secure data addresses the evaluation of EV control and management solutions that specifically include different communications architectures, protocols, and/or cyber-secure solutions.
Applicants must submit a proposal package that contains two files:
- Application that adheres to all formatting requirements
- PowerPoint slide deck.
Formatting requirements and templates for the slide deck are available in the full user call.
Completed proposal packages should be emailed to ESIF User Program by 5 p.m. MDT on Oct. 27, 2023. The subject line of the email should read: ADMS Test Bed User Call—Organization, Contact, Last Name.
There is no limit to the number of proposals that an applicant may submit.
All eligible proposals will be evaluated by NREL technical research staff and management. To be considered, an applicant must meet all eligibility criteria and have an application package containing all required materials.
Please direct questions to ESIF User Program. Questions are due by 5 p.m. MDT on Sept. 22, 2023. A Q&A session will be held on Oct. 2, 2023, from 2 to 3 p.m. MDT. To attend virtually, please email ESIF User Program.