Assessment of Biomass Resources in Afghanistan examines the amount of biomass resources available or potentially available in Afghanistan, as well as their geographic distribution, using geographic information systems (GIS) and other techniques. The results provide policymakers and industry developers with information on the potential for biomass-based power/heat generation and transportation fuels production.
The study concluded that in Afghanistan:
- Biogas generation from animal manure and waste-to-energy from urban discards are the most promising sustainable biomass technologies that use existing resources
- Climate and terrain are major limitations on the potential biomass resources.
Data and Tools
- Energy Assessments provides global sustainability assessments, worldwide energy assessments, and resource assessments.
- Mapsearch provides access to all of NREL's resource assessment maps.
- Interactive Maps provides access to NREL's interactive resource assessment maps.
- U.S. Renewable Energy Technical Potentials: A GIS-Based Analysis, NREL Technical Report (2012)
- Resource Evaluation and Site Selection for Microalgae Production in India, NREL Technical Report (2010)