NREL ensures the resiliency of our future energy and water systems through energy efficiency strategies and technologies, renewable energy, and water efficiency on the NREL campus.
NREL is committed to the efficient use of water resources. Water efficiency strategies and technologies are integrated throughout the campus, including:
- Water-efficient landscaping
- WeatherTRAK irrigation monitoring system
- Low-flow and WaterSense toilets, faucets, and showerheads
- Porous pavements to decrease storm water peak flow rates and enhance water quality through infiltration
- Water-efficient technology to reduce cooling tower water use
- Storm water detention and forebays to reduce erosion and sediment release downstream by capturing and storing rainwater from all storm events.