NREL's transportation infrastructure and programs are designed to significantly reduce petroleum use campus-wide.
Fleet Reduction and Alternative Fuel Vehicles
NREL makes every effort to right-size its vehicle fleet. NREL uses alternative fuel vehicles whenever possible, including those fueled by E-85 fuel (85% ethanol) and hybrid vehicles.
NREL encourages staff to use alternative transportation when commuting to work and moving between facilities during the day by providing:
- Free access to the Regional Transportation District's (RTD) public transportation with EcoPasses, which include unlimited regional, local, light rail, and SkyRide service to and from the Denver International Airport for NREL employees
- RTD bus stops located at two of NREL's South Table Mountain Campus entrances
- Monthly vanpool vouchers for employees
- A regional rideshare matching service
- Electric vehicle charging stations in the main employee parking garage
- Conveniently located bicycle racks, lockers, bicycle repair stations, and showers
- Campus infrastructure that prioritizes pedestrian and bicycle travel.
Parking and Shuttles
Incentive parking spaces are provided for high-occupancy vehicles such as carpools and vanpools at the parking garage and near other NREL buildings, where feasible.
Alternative-fuel shuttles transport staff to and from bus stops and local RTD hubs. Shuttles also transport staff to NREL facilities, reducing the amount of single-occupant vehicle trips throughout the day.
Telecommuting and Alternative Work Schedules
Staff can participate in both NREL's telecommuting and alternative work schedule programs, reducing the number of days staff members commute to the laboratory. More than a quarter of NREL staff telecommutes at least one day per week, and more than a third of NREL staff work an alternative work schedule.
Teleconferencing and videoconferencing capabilities are available to all staff, reducing the need to travel to meetings. This reduces not only the number of cars on the road but also the number of airline tickets purchased.