NREL provides services that support fleets that must comply with the Energy Policy Act of 1992 (EPAct) and other requirements designed to decrease petroleum imports through the use of alternative fuels.
NREL's Regulatory Support team helps fleets comply with their legislative requirements by:
- Providing a web-based reporting system that allows state and alternative fuel provider fleets to submit their annual reports electronically. The reports are entered into the database and fleet compliance is automatically calculated.
- Performing detailed analyses of individual federal agency fleets—including the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)—and the overall federal fleet.
- Providing guidance on strategies for improving petroleum reduction.
- Facilitating the exemption process where state and alternative fuel provider fleets apply to DOE to be relieved of their EPAct acquisition requirements.
- Managing subcontracts with companies that assist fleets with reporting questions and procedures.
- Maintaining a telephone help line fleets can call with questions about requirements, compliance, and technical issues.