Fleet DNA: Vehicle Drive Cycle Analysis
To learn how to submit your fleet's transportation data and see how it compares to all others in the database, refer to the Contributing Data to the Fleet DNA Project fact sheet. For general information, refer to the Fleet DNA Project fact sheet.
Fleet DNA helps vehicle manufacturers and fleet managers understand the broad operational range for many of today's commercial vehicles. This tool provides vehicle fleet data summaries and visualizations similar to real-world "genetics" for medium- and heavy-duty commercial fleet vehicles operating within a variety of vocations.
Click on the vehicle type to access composite data, summaries, and visualizations. Use these tools to analyze and sort transportation data: FASTSim and DRIVE. Find more resources on the Alternative Fuels Data Center.
Fleet DNA has data for 70 delivery vans operating for 901 days in the United States.
Learn more about the operation of delivery vans through these studies.
- Project Results: Evaluating FedEx Express Hybrid-Electric Delivery Trucks
- FedEx Express Gasoline Hybrid Electric Delivery Truck Evaluation: 12-Month Report
- FedEx Gasoline Hybrid Electric Delivery Truck Evaluation: 6-Month Interim Report
- Eighteen-Month Final Evaluation of UPS Second Generation Diesel Hybrid-Electric Delivery Vans
- Measured Laboratory and In-Use Fuel Economy Observed over Targeted Drive Cycles for Comparable Hybrid and Conventional Package Delivery Vehicles
- Thirty-Six Month Evaluation of UPS Diesel Hybrid-Electric Delivery Vans
- Interim Project Results: United Parcel Service's Second-Generation Hybrid-Electric Delivery Vans
- Project Overview: United Parcel Service's Second-Generation Hybrid-Electric Delivery Vans
- United Parcel Service Evaluates Hybrid Electric Delivery Vans
- Twelve-Month Evaluation of UPS Diesel Hybrid Electric Delivery Vans
Fleet DNA has data for 20 delivery trucks operating for 296 days in the United States.
Learn more about the operation of delivery trucks through these studies.
Fleet DNA has data for 206 school buses operating for 871 days in the United States.
Learn more about the operation of school buses through these studies.
Fleet DNA has data for 20 transit buses operating for 328 days in the United States.
Learn more about the operation of transit buses through these studies.
- St. Louis Metro Biodiesel (B20) Transit Bus Evaluation
- King County Metro Transit Hybrid Articulated Buses: Final Evaluation Results
- Case Study: Ebus Hybrid Electric Buses and Trolleys
- Long Beach Transit: Two-Year Evaluation of Gasoline-Electric Hybrid Transit Buses
- In-Use Performance Comparison of Hybrid Electric, CNG, and Diesel Buses at New York City Transit
- BAE/Orion Hybrid Electric Buses at New York City Transit
- New York City Transit (NYCT) Hybrid (125 Order) and CNG Transit Buses
Fleet DNA has data for 21 bucket trucks operating for 468 days in the United States.
Fleet DNA has data for 4 service vans operating for 20 days in the United States.
Fleet DNA has data for 27 refuse trucks operating for 279 days in the United States.
Class 8 Trucks
Fleet DNA has data for 105 class 8 trucks operating for 1393 days in the United States.
Learn more about the operation of class 8 trucks through these studies.
Refer to the Data Dictionary for Public Download Files reference document for definitions and descriptions of Fleet DNA results data. For ideas on how to use drive cycle metrics, see the presentation on Map Matching and Real World Integrated Sensor Data Warehousing and the paper on Overcoming the Range Limitation of Medium-Duty Battery Electric Vehicles Through the Use of Hydrogen Fuel Cells.
How to Cite the Data
Publications that use data from Fleet DNA should include a citation with the following information:
Walkowicz, K.; Kelly, K.; Duran, A.; Burton, E. (2014). Fleet DNA Project Data. National Renewable Energy Laboratory. http://www.nrel.gov/fleetdna
If you use the data in a publication, please notify Adam Duran so we can gauge the reach of the data.