Optimizing Solar Installations – Tools and Strategies Webinar
February 23, 2011
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Technical Assistance Program (TAP), this Webinar focused on solar energy system development and installation. The first presentation explained the importance of a detailed operations plan and implementation strategy to manage a renewable energy program as it grows. The second presentation highlighted a software tool that can optimize a solar system's functionality based on its location, available area, building type, current hot water system, and annual utility usage. For more information about this software tool, please visit the SunShot Solar Energy Resource Center.
This webinar featured two presentations:
- Program Management: One of the Keys to Supporting Sustained Progress toward Renewable and Energy Efficiency Goals
by Joananne Bachmann, Vermont Energy Investment Corporation (VEIC)
- Optimizing Rooftop Space with SolOpt
by Ian Metzger and Lars Lisell, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)
About the Presenters
- Joananne Bachmann, works for VEIC, which consults for the New Jersey Clean Energy Program (NJCEP). Bachmann provides proactive market outreach to project developers, host sites, and trade allies on the New Jersey solar, wind, and biomass programs.
- Ian Metzger, one of the primary developers of the SolOpt simulation tool, is an engineer in the Deployment and Market Transformation group at NREL. Metzger's work includes developing energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies, software tools, energy audits, audit training, and other related forms of technical assistance.
- Lars Lisell, who has also worked as one of the key developers of the SolOpt simulation tool, is an engineer in NREL's Integrated Applications Center. Lisell's work focuses on on-site energy audits, HVAC system analysis, facility energy modeling, and software tool development.