Fuels, Vehicles, and Transportation Deployment
NREL works with vehicle fleets, fuel providers, policymakers, and other transportation stakeholders to deploy alternative and renewable fuels, advanced vehicles, fuel economy improvements, and fleet-level efficiencies that reduce U.S. reliance on petroleum-based transportation fuels.
NREL's technical experts provide the most current in-depth information about biodiesel, electricity, ethanol, hydrogen, natural gas, and propane, as well as the vehicles that use these fuels and the infrastructure used to deliver them. Working in several key areas, NREL experts work to identify and overcome market barriers to the adoption of renewable energy and energy efficiency in transportation, including:
- Facilitating collaboration among fleets, vehicle manufacturers, fuel providers, technical experts, policymakers, and other transportation stakeholders in the public and private sectors
- Providing technical expertise on alternative fuel vehicles and fueling infrastructure, including biodiesel, electricity, ethanol, hydrogen, natural gas, and propane
- Publishing unbiased, accurate information on the wide variety of alternative fuels, advanced vehicles, and fueling infrastructure
- Developing convenient online tools to help stakeholders evaluate market-ready fuels and technologies, select the appropriate fuels and technologies for their needs and goals, and implement them into their operations
- Collecting, validating, and publishing comprehensive data on vehicle availability, vehicle emissions, fuel economy, fueling station locations, fuel production, and policy incentives
- Using Web services and widgets to provide free and easy real-time access to transportation data.
Fuels, Vehicles, and Transportation Project Examples
NREL works on a variety of types of transportation projects and programs that facilitate the deployment of alternative fuels, advanced vehicles, fuel economy improvements, and fleet efficiencies. Some examples are listed below.
Alternative Fuels Data Center
NREL developed and manages the Alternative Fuels Data Center, a comprehensive online clearinghouse of information, data, and tools related to the deployment of fuels, technologies, and practices that reduce petroleum use in transportation. The site receives more than 1.3 million visits annually and has served as an indispensable resource for fleets, fuel providers, and policymakers for more than two decades. Learn more.
Natural Gas Vehicle Technology Forum
In collaboration with partners in industry and government, NREL coordinates the Natural Gas Vehicle Technology Forum facilitating the identification of research and development priorities, providing market analysis, developing policy recommendations, and forging stakeholder relationships that accelerate the deployment of natural gas vehicles.
NREL established and leads the GeoEVSE Forum, a government-industry collaboration committed to the ongoing collection, validation, and publication of geographical location data for publicly accessible electric vehicle charging stations. The free comprehensive database allows electric vehicle drivers to find and use charging stations while also allowing for the development of vehicle navigation systems that direct drivers to nearby stations.
NREL's technical and programmatic support to the U.S. Department of Energy's Clean Cities program includes producing an extensive library of educational publications, offering training for coalition coordinators, and building partnerships among key transportation stakeholders. Learn more.
Fleets Regulated by the Energy Policy Act
NREL supports the U.S. Department of Energy's regulatory activities involving requirements under the Energy Policy Act (EPAct) for federal, state, and alternative fuel provider fleets. These regulatory activities are helping transform the U.S. transportation sector by building a core market for the deployment of alternative fuel and advanced vehicle technologies, and the expansion of alternative fueling infrastructure. Learn more.
For more information on NREL's fuels, vehicles, and transportation deployment work, contact Margo Melendez.
Learn about NREL's vehicles and fuels research.
Alternative Fueling Station Locator
Find stations that offer electric vehicle charging, E85, biodiesel, natural gas, propane, or hydrogen. Sort by fuel, find stations near a given location, and map routes with stations identified along the way.
Explore an interactive map that shows the locations of feedstock production, biofuels plants, biopower plants, alternative fuel vehicle densities, fueling stations, and other data related to biofuels deployment.
Petroleum Reduction Planning Tool
Compare and evaluate alternative fuels, technologies, and strategies to create a comprehensive plan to reduce petroleum use, greenhouse gas emissions, and/or operating costs.