South Entrance Building
NREL's South Entrance Building on the South Table Mountain campus is designed to be a net zero-energy building and to achieve a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Platinum-level certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. The 1,575-square-foot facility provides security services to employees using that entrance.
Energy Efficiency Features
- Natural ventilation, including a 35-foot tall wind-catch tower and under-floor air distribution system
- Roof-mounted PV (15.8 kW)
- Geothermal water-to-water heat pump
- Radiant heating and cooling
- LED lights with lighting control system
- Native and drought-resistant vegetation
- More than 35% percent of building materials contain recycled content
- 2.5% of building materials are rapidly renewable
- Low-emitting building materials
- Composting and recycling bins
For more information, see the NREL feature story.