About Sustainable NREL
NREL proactively pursues sustainability in all its operations to meet the lab's environmental stewardship goals. NREL is also charged with providing leadership within the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) complex to achieve energy and environmental goals as described in DOE Executive Order 13423 and Executive Order 13514.
Sustainability Integrated in Mission and Operation
Fully integrated in the lab's mission and operations, sustainability leadership is demonstrated by our involvement in optimizing resources, reducing waste, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, protecting the environment, and reaching out to the community.
NREL Sustainability Efforts
- Supporting an environmental management system that fully integrates sustainability, green purchasing, and a recycling program
- Meeting and exceeding greenhouse gas emission goals
- Using alternative-fueled fleet vehicles and reducing petroleum consumption
- Purchasing renewable energy and renewable energy certificates that offset the laboratory's environmental footprint
- Constructing sustainable buildings
- Reducing energy and water use
- Benefits throughout the community.
Employee Sustainability Efforts
NREL works to foster energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies, increasing the sustainability of our nation's energy infrastructure. In their commute to work, employees participate in numerous programs that help achieve sustainability in transportation and reduce mobile emissions generated from commuting to and from work by:
- Carpooling, vanpooling, using public transit, and biking
- Reducing driving days to campus by participating in alternative work schedules and telecommuting programs.
Employee participation is also significant in the lab's waste reduction—or Near-Zero-Waste—program. Staff help reduce the amount of solid waste reaching landfills as recycled and compostable materials increase. They also provide new ideas through the Sustainable NREL Web site and emails.