Science and Technology Highlights
NREL researchers' accomplishments in fundamental energy science contribute to a clean energy future for the nation. Take a look at recent technical highlights and learn about the key results and impacts in NREL's energy science research involving:
- Post-Deposition Treatment Boosts CIGS Solar Cell Performance
NREL's use of potassium fluoride process improves the open-circuit voltage and conversion efficiency.
- NREL Particle Receiver Will Enable High-Temperature CSP
Near-blackbody enclosed particle receiver can support high-temperature thermal energy storage and high-efficiency power cycles.
- NREL Quantifies Value of CSP to the Grid
In California study, greater penetration of renewable energy means greater value of CSP with thermal energy storage.
- NREL Develops ZnSiP2 for Silicon-Based Tandem Solar Cells
Combining an Earth-abundant chalcopyrite with a silicon layer could significantly boost conversion efficiency above that of single-junction silicon solar cells.
- NREL Fights Corrosion to Cut Costs in CSP Plants
NREL investigates how best to protect tanks and pipelines used for thermal energy storage and heat transfer fluids.
- NREL Investigates Critical Properties of Perovskite Halides Solar Cells
Results give insight on a novel, promising class of photoactive materials for solar conversion applications.
- Technique Reveals Critical Physics in Deep Regions of Solar Cells
NREL's improved time-resolved photoluminescence method measures minority-carrier lifetime deep within photovoltaic samples to help develop more efficient solar cells.
- System Advisor Model Includes Analysis of Hybrid CSP Option
NREL has created an analytical model to study a hybrid power option—concentrating solar power coupled with natural-gas-powered generation.
- Simple Method Quantifies Recombination Pathways in Solar Cells
NREL's analytic equation uses open-circuit voltage data to determine how much recombination occurs via different channels in a solar cell.
- New Pathway Developed to Silicon Quantum Dot Devices
Researchers create a way to prepare doped nanocrystal solutions for solar thin films that are nontoxic and less expensive than heavy metal-based thin films.
- Better Internal Optics Can Improve III-V Solar Cell Performance
NREL model that calculates external luminescent efficiency has potential to enhance performance of solar cells dominated by radiative recombination.
- Thermal Scout Pinpoints Hard-to-Find Problems in CSP Fields
Updated receiver survey system uses an infrared camera, GPS technology, and computer software to rapidly analyze concentrating solar power (CSP) fields and locate defective receivers.
- Distant Observer Tool Quickly Identifies Costly Flaws in CSP Fields
Remote control digital photography and metrology are combined to accurately define optical efficiency problems in concentrating solar power (CSP) plants.
- NREL Assesses National Design Standards for Offshore Wind
Report summarizes regulations, standards, and guidelines for the design and operation of offshore wind projects in the United States.
- New Framework Transforms FAST Wind Turbine Modeling Tool
A recent overhaul of the tool makes it a powerful, robust, and flexible modeling software to aid the development of innovative wind and water power technologies.
- NREL Report Redefines Wind as a Grid Stabilizer, Not a Liability
Study explores how wind power can support power system reliability, and do so economically.
- NREL Identifies Investments for Wind Turbine Drivetrain Technologies
NREL examines current U.S. manufacturing and supply chain capabilities for advanced wind turbine drivetrain technologies.
- National Wind Technology Center to Debut New Dynamometer
New test facility will be used to accelerate the development and deployment of next-generation offshore and land-based wind energy technologies.
- New Facility to Shed Light on Offshore Wind Resource
Chesapeake Light Tower facility will gather key data for unlocking the nation's vast offshore wind resource.
- NREL Collaborates with SWAY on Offshore Wind Demonstration
NWTC researchers gain valuable data from one of the first floating offshore wind prototypes.
- New Screening System Detects Algae with Increased H2 Production
NREL's high-throughput screen facilitates the selection of novel hydrogen-producing algae.
- Advantages of Enzyme Could Lead to Improved Biofuels Production
Cellulase C. bescii CelA, a highly active and stable enzyme, exhibits a new cellulose digestion paradigm promoting inter-cellulase synergy.
- NREL Demonstrates Efficient Solar Water Splitting by Metal Oxide Photoabsorber
New development demonstrates that inexpensive and robust metal oxide photoabsorbers hold great promise as photoanodes for water oxidation.
- Closer Look Reveals New Insights on Enzymatic Catalysts for H2 Production
Researchers use spectroscopic tools to analyze H2 activation by [FeFe]-Hydrogenase HydA1 from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii.
- NREL Demonstrates Photocatalytic Conversion With Mutant Microbe
Breakthrough will facilitate future research on photosynthetic production of biofuels.
- NREL Shows How Cyanobacteria Build Hydrogen-Producing Enzyme
Results will help researchers improve microbial hydrogen production.
- NREL Produces Ethylene via Photosynthesis
Environmentally friendly process offers intriguing alternative to fossil-fuel-based ethylene for chemicals and transportation fuels.
- Novel Combination of Enzyme Systems Could Lower Biofuel Costs
Two biomass-degrading enzyme systems that work in very different ways are shown to be more effective at releasing plant sugars when used together.
- New Cellulase Identification Method Holds Promise for Lower-Cost Biofuels
A new computational approach to genomic data effectively distinguishes cellulases and non-cellulases within the protein family GH48, a key component for degrading lignocellulose for biofuels.
- NREL Breaks New Ground in Plant Pretreatment for Biofuels
NREL researchers use imaging technologies to broaden knowledge of plant cell wall structures and identify ideal pretreatment of plant material.
- NREL and Industry Advance Low-Cost Solar Water Heating R&D
NREL and Rhotech develop cost-effective solar water heating prototype to rival natural gas water heater market.
- NREL Improves Access to Building Product Energy Data
Technology Performance Exchange helps move projects to implementation.
- NREL Enables Efficient Data Exchange for Home Performance Companies
NREL supports standard data transfer protocol to streamline communication of home performance tracking systems and upgrade analysis software.
- Lab Tests Demonstrate Effectiveness of Advanced Power Strips
NREL engineers evaluate the functionalities of advanced power strips and help consumers choose the right one for their plug loads.
- NREL Launches Collaborative Resource for Field Test Best
Dynamic portal documents and shares state-of-the-art residential field test tools and techniques.
- NREL Develops Method to Evaluate Accuracy of Home Energy Scoring Tool
Using data from existing homes, NREL researchers boost the accuracy of the new software tool.
- NREL Solves Residential Window Air Conditioner Performance Limitations
Comprehensive performance tests lead to enhanced modeling capability and affordable methods to increase energy efficiency.
- NREL Demonstrates Game-Changing Air Conditioner Technology
Testing of DEVAP prototype validates modeled predictions of 40% to 85% energy savings.
- AHEM Lab Opens Doors to New Technology Test Bed at NREL
NREL studies smart sensors and dynamic control systems to help homeowners conserve energy, save money, and live comfortably.
- NREL Reduces Climate Control Loads in Electric Vehicles
NREL demonstrates that zonal climate control can reduce air conditioning power and improve range while maintaining driver thermal sensation.
- Analysis Reveals Impact of Road Grade on Vehicle Energy Use
Findings of study indicate that, on average, road grade could be responsible for 1%–3% of fuel use in light-duty automobiles, with many individual trips impacted by as much as 40%.
- NREL Uses Fuel Cells to Increase the Range of Battery Electric Vehicles
NREL analysis identifies potential cost-effective scenarios for using small fuel cell power units to increase the range of medium-duty battery electric vehicles.
- Fueling Robot Automates Hydrogen Hose Reliability Testing
Automated robot mimics fueling action to test hydrogen hoses for durability in real-world conditions.
- Second-Use Li-Ion Batteries to Aid Automotive and Utility Industries
Repurposing Li-ion batteries at the end of useful life in electric drive vehicles could eliminate owners' disposal concerns and offer low-cost energy storage for certain applications.
- Fuel Cell Vehicles Enhance NREL Hydrogen Research Capabilities
Expanded research, development, and testing activities will help advance fuel cell electric vehicle technology.
- Demo Projects Introduce New Class of Natural Gas Vehicles
NREL teams with industry and government stakeholders to identify and address technical and marketplace barriers.
- Study Reveals Fuel Injection Timing Impact on Particle Number Emissions
Start of injection can improve environmental performance of fuel-efficient gasoline direct injection engines.
View past Science and Technology Highlights in NREL's Publications Database.