Senior Scientist II
On staff since: 2002
Phone number: 303-384-6774
Email Pauls Stradins
Primary Research Interests
- Film silicon photovoltaics: Epitaxial growth and defect formation mechanisms, device physics, light trapping
- Nanostructured semiconductor materials for photovoltaics: Quantum dots (Si and related), nanowires, "black" silicon
- Thin-film silicon photovoltaics and physics of disordered silicon: Light-induced structural changes, defects, hydrogen, electronic transport
- Materials Research Society, Member
- American Physical Society, Member
- Research Professor in Physics, Colorado School of Mines
Prior Work Experience
My past research has been in solid-state physics. I have worked on the electronic, optical, and structural properties of disordered materials:
- 5 years as a Visiting Scholar and Research Associate at the University of Chicago
- 5 years as a research scientist at the Electrotechnical Laboratory (ETL) in Japan (now the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, AIST)
Education and Background Training
- Ph.D. in Physics/Latvian Institute of Physics, Riga, Latvia (1990)
- M.S. and B.S., Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology, Moscow (1986)
Hobbies and Other Interests
- Aquariums and hiking
- Literature and science
J.-W. Luo, P. Stradins, and A. Zunger, "Matrix-embedded silicon quantum dots for photovoltaic applications: a theoretical study of critical factors," Energy and Environmental Science, (2011), DOI: 10.1039/c1ee01026c
H.M. Branz, C.W. Teplin, M.J. Romero, I.T. Martin, Q. Wang, K. Alberi, D.L. Young, and P. Stradins, "Hot-wire chemical vapor deposition of epitaxial film crystal silicon for photovoltaics," Thin Solid Films 519 (2011), 4545–4550.
B.N. Jariwala, O.S. Dewey, P. Stradins, C.V. Ciobanu, S. Agarwal, "In Situ Gas-Phase Hydrosilylation of Plasma-Synthesized Silicon Nanocrystals," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, (2011), 110803131555028. doi:10.1021/am200541p
D.L. Young, B. Egaas, S. Pinegar, and P. Stradins, "A new real-time quantum efficiency measurement system," 33rd IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference, (2008), DOI 10.1109/PVSC.2008.4922748 — Associated with R&D 100 award 2011 for "Flash Quantum Efficiency System for Solar Cells."
D.C. Bobela,_H.M. Branz, and P. Stradins, "Anneal treatment to reduce the creation rate of light-induced metastable defects in device-quality hydrogenated amorphous silicon," Applied Physics Letters 98 (2011), 201908.
H.M. Branz, V.E. Yost, S. Ward, K.M. Jones, B. To, and P. Stradins, "Nanostructured black silicon and the optical reflectance of graded-density surfaces," Applied Physics Letters 94 (2009) 231121.
P. Stradins and H. Fritzsche, "Photoinduced creation of metastable defects in a-Si-H at low- temperatures and their effect on the photoconductivity," Philosophical Magazine B 69 (1994) 121–139.