Photovoltaic Performance and Reliability Workshops
NREL hosts workshops focused on photovoltaic (PV) performance and reliability to encourage collaboration and communication among solar program staff, national laboratory teams, and industry partners. Workshop summaries and presentation content are available for the following meetings.
NREL also coordinates an annual Photovoltaic Module Reliability Workshop (PVMRW) so that solar technology experts can share information leading to the improvement of PV module reliability.
Photovoltaic Module Reliability Workshop 2014
February 25–26, 2014
The 2014 PVMRW, which was held in Golden, Colorado, featured more than 100 presentations and posters from workshop participants. Compiled proceedings, individual presentations, and a technical report are available for this event.
Solar Power International Workshops on Bankability
October 21, 2013
NREL and Sandia National Laboratories (SNL) hosted two workshops during Solar Power International 2013 to discuss strategies for defining the bankability of new PV products. A detailed agenda is available. In addition, workshop presentations from the morning session are available for download.
- Today's Qualification Tests and Testing Beyond These—John Wohlgemuth, NREL
- Proposals for Tests and Ratings to Demonstrate Bankability—Sarah Kurtz, NREL
- UV Testing: 20 years of Data Showing the Value for Extended UV Testing of Encapsulant Materials—Charlie Reid, STR
- Potential-Induced Degradation Testing: A Critical Addition to Today's Qualification Tests—Mani TamizhMani, TUV Rheinland PTL
- Dynamic Mechanical Load Testing—Geoffrey Kinsey, Fraunhofer CSE
- Importance of Third-Party Verification of Quality Management—Paul Norum, Amonix
- Qualification of PV Materials—William Gambogi, DuPont
- Panel Discussion
2013 Thin-Film PV Reliability Workshop
February 28–March 1, 2013
This kick-off meeting was held in Golden, Colorado, for Task Group 8 of the International PV Module Quality Assurance Task Force, which addresses the need for testing thin-film modules. Proceedings are available on the IPVMQA website.
Photovoltaic Module Reliability Workshop 2013
February 26–27, 2013
Held in Golden, Colorado, the PV Module Reliability Workshop (PVMRW) 2013 shared information on improving PV module reliability to reduce the cost of solar electricity and give investors confidence in the technology. NREL led the workshop, which was sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Solar Energy Technologies Office. The entire workshop proceedings are available for download.