UPDATED India Solar Resource Maps
This page provides 10-kilometer (km) solar resource maps and data for India. The 10-km hourly solar resource data were developed using weather satellite (METEOSAT) measurements incorporated into a site-time specific solar modeling approach developed at the U.S. State University of New York at Albany. The data is made publicly available in geographic information system (GIS) format and as static maps below. The hourly data can also be downloaded for specific locations from NREL's Renewable Resource Data Center.
The new maps and data were released in June 2013. The new data expands the time period of analysis from 2002-2007 to 2002-2011 and incorporates enhanced aerosols information to improve direct normal irradiance (DNI).
These products were developed by the U.S. National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in cooperation with India's Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, through funding from the U.S. Department of Energy and U.S. Department of State.
Please contact Michael Elchinger for any additional information.
Solar Data README File
- README (TXT 4 KB)
Direct normal irradiance (10-km)
Global horizontal irradiance (10-km)
- Annual Direct Normal and Global Horizontal Irradiance (ZIP 4.2 KB) – updated April 2013
- Monthly Direct Normal and Global Horizontal Irradiance (ZIP 4.9 MB) – updated April 2013
India Weather Files Designed to be Used in System Advisor Model (SAM)
- Download SAM solar resource files for all Indian locations in TMY3 format
- SAM weather data documentation
- India SAM file documentation (MS Word 5 MB)
To learn more about System Advisor Model (SAM).