Energy Analysis and Tools
NREL offers energy analysis tools, models, and other resources for researchers, developers, investors, and others interested in the viability, analysis, and development of hydrogen and fuel cell technologies and systems. Learn about NREL's hydrogen and fuel cell system analysis projects.
ADOPT: Automotive Deployment Options Projection Tool
Modeling tool that predicts consumer demand for different vehicle types based on income distribution and other demographic attributes in a given region. Available for public download in mid-2013.
Collection of tools—calculators, interactive maps, and data searches—that can help fleets, fuel providers, and other transportation decision-makers reduce petroleum use.
Simulation tool that provides fuel economy, performance, battery life, and cost calculations for different vehicle design and usage scenarios.
Financial modeling tool for analyzing high-temperature, fuel cell-based tri-generation systems.
Clearinghouse of medium- and heavy-duty commercial fleet transportation data for optimizing the design of advanced vehicle technologies or for selecting a technology to invest in.
Interactive material selector tool to help fuel cell developers and material suppliers explore the results of fuel cell system contaminants studies.
Hydrogen production and delivery models used for analyzing the economics of distributed and centralized hydrogen production from various energy resources, including renewables, coal, natural gas, and biomass.
Web-based GIS tool that provides access to hydrogen demand, resource, infrastructure, cost, production, and distribution data.
Off-network data center used for the secure management, storage, and processing of proprietary data from industry.
Knowledge-sharing wiki that provides access to energy-related information, data, and applications.
Infrastructure analysis model used for determining optimal production and delivery scenarios for hydrogen, given resource availability and technology cost.
Repository of detailed travel data—including demographic information and second-by-second speed profiles—from various surveys and studies. The TSDC makes these data available to support research projects while protecting individual participant privacy.
Other NREL Analysis Tools
Visit the following websites to learn about other NREL analysis tools and activities.
- Biomass Process and Sustainability Analyses
- Fuels, Vehicles, and Transportation Market Transformation
- Energy Analysis Models and Tools
- Models and Tools for Vehicles and Fuels Research
Related Studies and Research Centers
Visit the following websites for information about related studies and research centers.
- International Council for Clean Transportation
- McKinsey & Company: A Portfolio of Powertrains for Europe: a Fact-Based Analysis of the Role of Battery Electric Vehicles, Plug-in Hybrids, and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles
- National Research Council: Transitions to Alternative Transportation Technologies—A Focus on Hydrogen
- University of California, Berkeley: Transportation Sustainability Research Center
- University of California, Davis: Institute of Transportation Studies
- University of California, Irvine: National Fuel Cell Research Center
- U.S. Department of Energy: Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Program Records