Power Systems Operations and Controls
NREL develops methods for real-time operations and controls of power systems at various scales to support a more reliable and efficient electric grid.
As our nation transitions from a centrally controlled electric grid—with one-way delivery of power from central-station power plants—into one that features both distributed generation and distributed control systems based on advanced communications, we need new approaches to enhance reliability and efficiency. NREL is researching advanced technologies to optimize the operation of the system and react to off-normal conditions in a way that preserves system reliability and improves resilience.
- Bulk system operations
- Distributed system controls and optimization
- Advanced distribution management systems
- Microgrid controls and resiliency controls
- Home energy management systems
- Power systems communications
- Grid state estimation