Principal Scientist and Group Manager
Dr. Wei received his B.S. in Physics from Fudan University, Shanghai, China in 1981, and a Ph.D. in Physics from the College of William and Mary in Virginia in 1985 under the supervision of Prof. Henry Krakauer. His Ph.D. work is on the development of a general potential, self-consistent linearized augmented plane wave (LAPW) code to study electronic and structural properties of semiconductors, metal surfaces, d-band and f-band metals, and compounds. He joined NREL in 1985 as a postdoctoral researcher working with Dr. Alex Zunger. He is now a principal scientist and group manager of Theoretical Materials Science in the Center for Chemical and Materials Sciences. He has published more than 370 peer-reviewed papers, including more than 66 papers in Physical Review Letters. His papers have been cited more than 25,000 times (H index >80). He is a Fellow of both the American Physical Society and The Materials Research Society.
- Optoelectronic properties of photovoltaic and light-emitting materials
- Defect physics in semiconductors and nano materials
- Electronic structures and stabilities of alloys, superlattices, and interfaces
- Magnetic properties of semiconductors
- Electronic properties of organic and hybrid semiconductors
- Energy storage materials.
- Dvorak, M.; Wu, Z.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Origin of the variation of exciton binding energy in semiconductors." Phys. Rev. Lett. (110); p. 016402. http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v110/i1/e016402.
- Huang, B.; Xiang, H.; Xu, Q.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Overcoming the phase inhomogeneity in chemically functionalized graphene: The case of graphene oxides." Phys. Rev. Lett. (110); p. 085501. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.085501.
- Xiang, H.J.; Huang, B.; Kan, E.; Wei, S.-H.; Gong, X.G. (2013). "Towards direct-gap silicon phases by the inverse band structure design approach." Phys. Rev. Lett. (110); p. 118702. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.118702.
- Ma, J.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Origin of novel diffusion of Cu and Ag in semiconductors: The case of CdTe." Phys. Rev. Lett. (110); p. 235901. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.110.235901.
- Kang, J.; Glatzmaier, G.C.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Origin of the bismuth-induced decohesion of nickel and copper grain boundaries." Phys. Rev. Lett. (111); p. 055502. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.055502.
- Ma, J.; Kuciauskas, D.; Albin, D.; Bhattacharya, R.; Reese, M.; Barnes, T.; Gessert, T.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Dependence of the Minority-Carrier Lifetime on the Stoichiometry of CdTe Using Time-Resolved Photoluminescence and First-Principles Calculations." Phys. Rev. Lett. (111); p. 067402. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.067402.
- Huang, B.; Xiang, H.J.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Chemical functionalization of silicene: Spontaneous structural transition and exotic electronic properties." Phys. Rev. Lett. (111); p. 145502. http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v111/i6/e145502.
- Kang, J.; Wei, S.-H. (2013). "Tunable Anderson localization in hydrogenated graphene based on electric field effects." Phys. Rev. Lett. (111); p. 216801. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.216801.