Justin Johnson received his B.A. in Chemistry and Physics from Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1999. His undergraduate research involved performing classical trajectory calculations for determining the rates of ion-dipole reactions of small molecules in the gas phase. He received his Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from the University of California, Berkeley, in 2004, with Prof. Richard Saykally as thesis adviser. His thesis work included experiments involving near-field microscopy and ultrafast spectroscopy of single semiconductor nanowires, with a focus on determining the optical properties of various shapes of individual nanolasers.
Dr. Johnson joined Arthur Nozik's group at NREL as a postdoctoral researcher through a collaboration with Prof. Josef Michl at the University of Colorado, Boulder, in October 2004. He joined the research staff in 2008 and is currently a senior scientist in the Chemical and Nanoscale Science group.
The team is using spectroscopic tools to investigate the processes of multiple-exciton generation (MEG) and singlet fission (SF) and their consequences for photovoltaic devices. The ultrafast dynamics associated with these processes are especially important to understand, and therefore the team has developed various femtosecond techniques to study the mechanisms of SF and MEG, as well as charge transfer to semiconductor nanoparticle films.
- Gao, J.; Johnson. J.C. (2012). "Charge trapping in bright and dark states of coupled PbS Quantum Dot Films." ACS Nano (6:4); pp. 3292-3303. Accessed July 27, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nn300707d.
- Smith, E.R.; Luther, J.M.; Johnson. J.C. (2011). "Ultrafast electronic delocalization in CdSe/CdS quantum rod heterostructures." Nano Lett. (11:11); pp. 4923-4931. Accessed July 27, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/nl202869z.
- Chappell, H.E.; Hughes, B.K.; Beard, M.C.; Nozik, A.J.; Johnson, J.C. (2011). "Emission Quenching in PbSe Quantum Dot Arrays by Short-Term Air Exposure." J. Phys. Chem. Lett. (2:8); pp. 889-893. Accessed July 27, 2012: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jz2001979.
- Johnson, J.C.; Nozik, A.J.; Michl, J. (2010). "High triplet yield from singlet fission in thin films of 1,3-diphenlyisobenzofuran." Journal of the American Chemical Society (132); p. 16302.
- Johnson, J.C.; Reilly, T.H.; Kanarr, A.C.; van de Lagemaat, J. (2009). "Ultrafast dynamics of pentacene coupled to surface plasmon active nanohole films." J. Phys. Chem. C (113:16); pp. 6871-6877.
- Johnson, J.; Gerth, K.; Song, Q.; Murphy, J.; Scholes, G.; Nozik, A. (2008). "Ultrafast exciton fine structure relaxation dynamics in lead chalcogenide nanocrystals." Nano Lett. (8); pp. 1374-1381.
- Johnson, J.C.; Choi, H.-J.; Knutsen, K.P.; Schaller, R.D.; Yang, P.; Saykally, R.J. (2002). "Single Gallium Nitride Nanowire Lasers." Nature Materials (1:2); pp. 106-110.