Jeff Blackburn graduated from Wake Forest University in 1999 with a Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, and from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 2003 with a Ph.D. in Chemistry. For his dissertation work, Dr. Blackburn worked primarily at NREL with Dr. Arthur Nozik, studying ultra-fast relaxation and charge transfer processes occurring in semiconductor quantum dots (QDs) and QD interfaces. He then worked as a post-doctoral researcher with Dr. Michael Heben at NREL, focusing on the applications of low-dimensional carbon in hydrogen storage and photovoltaics. He is currently a senior scientist at NREL, leading projects that focus on a variety of fundamental and applied research topics. His work focuses on low-dimensional carbon and includes the synthesis, purification, separation, and characterization of single-walled carbon nanotubes and graphene. An overarching goal of the research is the production of highly pure, well-characterized, single-walled carbon nanotube and graphene samples that are rationally tailored for integration into renewable energy applications such as photovoltaics, batteries, solar fuel generation, and fuel cells.
- Charge separation and transport in nanoscale systems
- Steady state and time-resolved spectroscopy of nanoscale systems
- Synthesis, purification, separation, and characterization of single-walled carbon nanotubes
- Synthesis, characterization, and device integration of graphene
- Hydrogen storage
- Photovoltaic materials and technologies.
- Svedruzic, D.; Blackburn, J.L.; Tenent, R.C.; Rocha, J.R.; Vinzant, T.B.; Heben, M.J.; King, P.W. (2011). "High Performance Hydrogen Production and Oxidation Electrodes with Hydrogenase on Single-walled Carbon Nanotube Networks with High Metallic Tube Content." J. Am. Chem. Soc. (133); p. 4299.
- Holt, J.M.; Ferguson, A.J.; Kopidakis, N.; Rumbles, G.; Blackburn, J.L. (2010). "Prolonging Charge Separation in P3HT Composites Using Highly Enriched Semiconducting SWNTs." Nano Letters (10); p. 4627.
- Tenent, R.C.; Barnes, T.M.; Bergeson, J.D.; Ferguson, A.J.; To, B.; Gedvilas, L.M.; Heben, M.J.; Blackburn, J.L. (2009). "Ultra Smooth, Large Area, High Uniformity, Conductive Transparent Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Films for Photovoltaics Produced by Ultrasonic Spraying." Advanced Materials (21); p. 3210.
- Blackburn, J.L.; Barnes, T.M.; Beard, M.C.; Kim, Y-H; Tenent, R.C.; McDonald, T.J.; To, B.; Coutts, T.J.; Heben, M.J. (2008). "Transparent Conductive Single-walled Carbon Nanotube Networks with Precisely Tunable Ratios of Semiconducting and Metallic Nanotubes." ACS Nano (2); p. 1266.
- Beard, M.C.; Blackburn, J.L.; Heben, M.J. (2008). "Photogenerated Free Carrier Dynamics in Metal and Semiconductor Single-walled Carbon Nanotube Films." Nano Letters (8); p. 4238.