Dan Ruddy received a Ph.D. degree in Inorganic Chemistry from the University of California, Berkeley in 2008. His research combined synthetic molecular and materials chemistry with detailed characterization to study novel heterogeneous catalysts. He then worked on a variety of catalyst development projects at the Dow Chemical Company in the Renewable Feedstocks & Process Catalysis Group before joining the Chemical and Nanoscale Science Group at NREL in 2010. Dr. Ruddy's research at NREL integrates the synthesis and characterization of functional molecules and materials for advanced energy technologies including solar fuels production, biomass conversion catalysis, and next-generation PV materials.
- Renewable hydrogen and solar fuels production
- Biomass catalysis and biofuels production
- Photovoltaic absorber layers and transparent contact materials development.
2010, National Renewable Energy Laboratory
2008, Ph.D. Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley
2003, B.S. Chemistry, Lafayette College
- Hughes, B.K.; Ruddy, D.A.; Blackburn, J.L.; Smith, D.K.; Bergren, M.R.; Nozik, A.J.; Johnson, J.C.; Beard, M.C. (2012). "Control of PbSe Quantum Dot Surface Chemistry and Photophysics Using an Alkylselenide Ligand." ACS Nano (6); p. 5498.
- Ruddy, D.A.; Johnson, J.C.; Smith, E.R.; Neale, N.R. (2010). "Size and bandgap control in the solution-phase synthesis of near-infrared-emitting germanium nanocrystals." ACS Nano (4); p. 7459.
- Ruddy, D. A.; Jarupatrakorn, J.; Rioux, R.M.; Miller J.T.; McMurdo, M.J.; McBee, J.L.; Tupper, K.A.; Tilley, T.D. (2008). "Site-Isolated Pt-SBA15 Materials from Tris( tert-butoxy)siloxy Complexes of Pt(II) and Pt(IV)." Chem. Mater. (20); p. 6517.
- Ruddy, D.A.; Tilley, T.D. (2008). "Kinetics and Mechanism of Olefin Epoxidation with Aqueous H2O2 and a Highly Selective Surface-Modified TaSBA15 Heterogeneous Catalyst." J. Am. Chem. Soc. (130); p. 11088.
- Ruddy, D.A.; Brutchey, R.L.; Tilley, T.D. (2008). "The Influence of Surface Modification on the Epoxidation Selectivity and Mechanism of TiSBA15 and TaSBA15 Catalysts with Aqueous Hydrogen Peroxide." Top. Catal. (48); p. 99.
- Ruddy, D.A.; Tilley, T.D. (2007). "Highly Selective Olefin Epoxidation with Aqueous H2O2 over Surface-modified TaSBA15 Prepared via the TMP Method." Chem. Commun. (32); pp. 3350-3352.
- Ruddy, D.A.; Ohler, N.L.; Bell, A.T.; Tilley, T.D. (2006). "Thermolytic Molecular Precursor Route to Site-isolated Vanadia–silica Materials and their Catalytic Performance in Methane Selective Oxidation." Journal of Catalysis (238); p. 277.