Chunmei Ban graduated from Tianjin University with Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Electrochemistry, and from State University of New York at Binghamton with a Ph.D. in Chemistry. Dr. Ban joined NREL in 2008 and has focused her research on developing new materials for energy storage and conversion. She has extensive experience in synthesis of nanostructured materials, employing electrochemical analytic methods, et-situ/in-situ X-ray diffraction, and electron microscopy for the investigation of electrochemical properties and structure. Her current research is focused on the synthesis and analysis of nano-materials with desirable structures and morphologies as Li+ host materials, the fabrication of nano-architecture electrodes for electrochemical systems, and surface atomic modification of electrode materials for the improved performance.
- Design and fabricate new nanostructures as Li+ host materials
- Study the surface chemistry of Li-ion electrode materials
- Investigate the relationship between structure/morphology and electrochemical properties
- Research on electrochemistry of Li-air batteries, Magnesium-ion batteries
- Develop 3D cathode network with special morphologies and structure for Li-air batteries.
- Ban, C.; Yin, W.; Tang, H.; Wei, S.; Dillon, A.C.; Yan, Y. (2012). "A Novel Codoping Approach for Enhancing the Performance of LiFePO4 Cathodes." Adv Energy Mater, DOI
- Ban, C.; Kappes, B.; Xu, Q.; Engtrakul, C.; Ciobanu, C.V.; Dillon, A.C.; Zhao, Y. (2012). "Lithiation of silica through partial reduction." Appl. Phys. Lett. (100); p. 243905.
- Ban, C.; Li, Z.; Wu, Z.; Kirkham, M.J.; Chen, L.; Jung, Y.; Payzant, E.; Yan, Y.; Whittingham, M.S.; Dillon, A.C. (2011). "Extremely Durable High-rate Capability of a LiNi0.4Mn0.4Co0.2O2 Cathode Enabled with Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes." Adv. Energy Mater. (1 (1); p. 58.
- Zhao, Y.; Ban, C.; Xu, Q.; Wei, S. (2011). "Charge-Driven Structure Transformation and Valence Versatility of Boron Sheets in Magnesium Borides." Phys. Rev. B. (83); p. 035406.
- Xu, Q.; Ban, C.; Dillon, A.C.; Wei, S.; Zhao, Y. (2011). "First-principles Study of Lithium Borocarbide as a Cathode Material for Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries." J Phys. Chem. Lett. 2 (10); p. 1129.
- Yin, W.; Wei, S.; Ban, C.; Wu, Z.; Jassim, M.; Yan, Y. (2012). "Bonding SWCNTs and Fe3O4 (001) surface for enhanced electrical conductivity." J. Phys. Chem. Lett. (2); p. 22-2853.
- Ban, C.; Wu, Z.; Gillaspie, D.T.; Chen, L.; Yan, Y.; Blackburn, J.L.; Dillon, A.C. (2010). "Nanostructured Fe3O4-SWNT Electrode: Binder-free and High-rate Li-Ion Anode." Adv. Mater. (22); p. 20-145.
- Ban, C.; Dillon, A.C. (2010). "High Capacity and High Rate Li -Ion Anodes for Electric Vehicles." ENT (2); p. 46.
- Ban, C.; Chernova, N.A.; Whittingham, M.S. (2009). "Electrospun Nano-vanadium Pentoxide Cathode." Electrochem. Comm. (11); p. 522.
- Ban, C.; Whittingham, M.S. (2008). "Nanoscale Single-Crystal Vanadium Oxides with Layered Structure by Electrospinning and Hydrothermal Methods." Solid State Ionics (179); p. 1721.